Which way to cross

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed on here as far as using a longhorn bull on angus etc. cattle for calving ease but can/should you cross going the other way Angus bull LH heifer? I know some breeds cross great one way but not the other - i.e stallion to jenny=crap (henny) but jack to mare=mule! I know every bodies varying opinions on the product of this cross but I am not building my herd like this just may be able to improve my bottom line. Thanks.

Totally foolish to put a LH bull on any other beef breed. Plenty of good calving ease bulls that will give u a nice valuable calf. Now if u have some LH cows and wanna up the value of those calves then yea go ahead and use a angus bull. Charolais is the best though to produce a solid colored calf that will sell good for u.

For starters, most mules are produced from breeding a jack to a mare. I would think that calving ease would play a roll in which way to cross the Angus/Longhorns. I will leave that to someone who has experience with the Longhorns to answer. :D

SmokinM":qwmakdfh said:
I know this has been discussed on here as far as using a longhorn bull on angus etc. cattle for calving ease but can/should you cross going the other way Angus bull LH heifer? I know some breeds cross great one way but not the other - i.e stallion to jenny=mule but jack to mare=crap! I know every bodies varying opinions on the product of this cross but I am not building my herd like this just may be able to improve my bottom line. Thanks.
Either way the result is going to be a POS.

It works just fine. It won't knock all of the color off but as far as calving them out it works just the same as the other way around.

Sorry DA attack on my comparison I know how you get a mule just typed it backwards!!! :dunce: Basically comes down to a friend has some LH heifers and I have a nice calving ease bull so I can pick up a couple extra calves to sale for just a little swapping but but don't want dead calves or heifers.Thanks!

Latest posts