Which dehorner do I buy?

Help Support CattleToday:

You have ONE calf and want to buy a de-horner?

Save the bucks - invite a neighbour over and feed him lunch. He will do it for free - I surely would.

Bez'

Thought about caustic paste....alot less expensive that an electric for one calf....follow the directions or ask.
How much growth are on the horns anyway...if to much the paste isn't the way to go...but its what we use.

According to the directions, paste is to be used up to 2 months of age. From what I've learned by experience...it works best under a month. I wouldn't put paste on a 3 month old calf. Number one, the horns will likely be too big; number two, you're going to have a hard time keeping the paste on him long enough to work - at that size he'll rub it off, one way or another. (As far as that goes - I like doing it when they're just a few days old and haven't figured out how to rub their heads against a fence or use their back hooves to scratch their head. No worries about 'em rubbing it off if they can't get their feet up to rub it.)

you could go the old fashioned way...............take sterile knife bade and slide it under the horn button and 'pop' it off.

Caustic is something we sometimes use, but it can be messy, and of course the calf feels the paste burning and will try to rub it off with what ever mean possible, meaning possibly, some burns on the face, the legs etc.

We will often try to wait out some time for fly season to be over if in no hurry and dig them out with a set of Barnes dehorners, or borrow an electric set.

Just a few different choices there. :cboy:

Thanks! But nobody answered my question. If I borrow someones dehorner. Do I need a certain size? I feel its to late for any paste.

Thanks!

M Luzier":2stmb2gk said:
Thanks! But nobody answered my question. If I borrow someones dehorner. Do I need a certain size? I feel its to late for any paste.

Thanks!
Your question was "what size electric dehorner should I buy?"

M Luzier":xzxqubdl said:

Thanks!
I really didn't know they came in sizes. Not saying they don't. Long time since I used one.
Just take a look at the horn and see whatever the neighbor has you can borrow. Will it fit over horn. You will just have to go by how it looks. We cant see it.

la4angus":2fof0ii6 said:
M Luzier":2fof0ii6 said:

Thanks!
Your question was "what size electric dehorner should I buy?"

I got one right now for you weighs about 1100. He is really gentile. 1407 son out of an EXT cow. Oh sorry no advertising.

Scotty

Yup, several different sizes for several different sized horns......most start at about 8/16ths,3/4 inch,13/16ths, then 1 inch, and even bigger.

Our electric dehorner has two sizes,,,,, turn it one way for smaller, then the other for larger horns.

Latest posts