Where do you buy replacement cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
We are looking for 10-20 replacement cows. I don't want to risk buying someone elses problem at the sale barn. Do you find it is best to buy private treaty or a ranch sale/auctions?

In the past we've used all 3. Now it's primarily special breed association sales and occasioanlly private treaty.

Where ever you can find the kind of cows you want at the price you are willing to pay. I have bought cows from individuals, at special stocker cow sales and at regular weekly auctions. It really doesn't mater.

Some will advise to stay away from sale barns. In our part of the world, there are herd sellouts at the sale barn all the time due to death or divorce. Some good catle come to town that way.

I have used all 3.

Sale barns can work. Try not to buy singles or pairs, as these are generally someone else's problem they are trying to get rid of. Try to find someone who is selling his entire herd, or a certain class of cattle. We have a local guy who retains his own females, and sells every cow once they reach 7 years old. He leaves some good years on the table, and someone gets some purty good cows.

Private treaty can work, but one of my worst experiences came that way. Bought 12 bred cows from a fella about 7 years ago, and found out about a month later this guy had just bought them from the Sand Hills of Nebraska just a week before. They looked good, but that was about it. They were not the age they were supposed to be, not bred to what they were supposed to be, and several of them were just down right mean. Had two just up and die the first year, one from trying to have too big of a calf, (nice surprise that morning) and the second just found dead for no apparent reason. 3 tried to kill me during spring vaccinations. After two breeding seasons, I only had one left, and still have her. In hindsight, I should have done some more research and I would have known this guy trades cattle every now and then.

You can find good affordable cattle at any venue, you just have to be very careful and watch what you are doing.

Ranch sales are normally good quality, but you sometimes you end up paying too much.

i buy privete treaty an though breed assoc sales.both ways i know the quality of cattle im buying.as well as who owns the cattle.i also know theur bloodlines an breeding programs.that way you ca know what your buying.an its not as big of crappshoot.as just buying any cow out of the sale barn.

Breed association sponsered sales or private treaty. Then if you have a problem, you have a better chance of a reputable breeder standing behind his product.

In a perfect world, I would buy private treaty. You can spend some time looking at the dams, sisters, granddams of the females that are for sale. You can really get a good idea of how the female will turn out like.

This does not normally happen at a production sale or the sale barn. Private treaty also gives you a chance to have some one on one time with the owner, mgr, herdsman, etc. to get an idea if your management style and his are similar. Recently we have bought at production sales and even private treaty sight unseen, I guarantee you that if I didnt like the sight unseen cow he would have taken her back immediately no questions asked. She is the best cow on the place right now, maybe I should do that again!! Find someone you think is trust worthy and good luck.

TheBullLady":3cogej2h said:
Breed association sponsered sales or private treaty. Then if you have a problem, you have a better chance of a reputable breeder standing behind his product.
right the breed assoc sales gurentee their cattle.an they stand behind the cattle.the reg breeders gurentee the cattle like the assoc does.an they stand behind there cattle.

Private and the Fla Cattlemans Association has sale once a year for bred heifers. This is where I get most of mine.

We are thinking about attending the Camp Cooley sale. Has anyone been?
We went to ranch sale in January and should have bought some cows. Several pairs went for $1100. How would that compare to to Camp Cooley? Are there bargins to be had?

theres bargans tobe a had at camp cooley or any sale for that matter.alot just depends on what your willing to pay for med to top replacement cows.but know this you cant go to a sale like that expecting to steal some cattle.

ffamom":2wb53gmc said:
We are thinking about attending the Camp Cooley sale. Has anyone been?
We went to ranch sale in January and should have bought some cows. Several pairs went for $1100. How would that compare to to Camp Cooley? Are there bargins to be had?

FF we plan to go to the Camp Cooley sale new weekend. Hopefully can "afford" somehing. If this sale goes like the last one in Sept. most of the pairs will be split and the calves will bring more than the mother cows. We did buy one older cow 8 months bred for $1,500 and bought a 4 year old that was suppose to be "confirmed" bred 3 months for $2,800....next day she was in standing heat. (we all miss one I guess). Anyway, we called them and they offerered to give our money back if we return the cow or any other way we wanted to settle it. Since we had some good Camp Cooley semen we went ahead and bred her and told them to send us 5 straws of another bull we picked out. Got the catalog for the upcoming sale and says all the cattle have been confirmed bred using ultrasound. The cows definitely won't be cheap but will be good. They're also selling about 700 commecial heifers. Go to the sale. At least you'll get a steak dinner, chuck wagon breakfast and hamburger for lunch. One thing that impresses me is that they start off the sale with prayer and the star spangled banner. :)

You'll probably see several of the top cows bring way up in the BIG $$$$$$$.

If we are buying replacements, like many others here, we usually get them private treaty or through association sales.
jscunn":2ang1op4 said:
...Private treaty also gives you a chance to have some one on one time with the owner, mgr, herdsman, etc. to get an idea if your management style and his are similar...
Excellent point!!! A fairly local outfit is known for having some of the highest quality, most sought after cattle in the country. However, they herd with 4-wheelers and real cowboys on horseback. Those cattle don't/won't do well with our family-style, we're-gonna-barbeque-after-while-but-first-everybody-put-your-boots-on-and-get-a-stick,-we-got-some-cattle-to-work approach. The cattle usually work with no problems, if I have them penned before we start. I just holler and wave a white bucket and they are all in within a few minutes. If they see all the extra help standin around they know somethins up and they ain't all comin in! Period! :)