When weaning heifers, what % protein is needed in a ration?

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
Right now I'm feeding 12% protein to heifers that are 5-7 months old. They are getting about 12 lbs a day of concentrate and all the hay they want. Is 12% enough? If not, how much protein should be in the feed?

Sorry Redangus, we should have answered your question back on the other thread. It is a more complicated decision than just how much protein. What is in the feed you are feeding them now? How much corn, oats, soybean meal etc. You can make a 16% feed out of dirt using urea but I don't think they would grow very well . If you want you can pm me and discuss it or here is fine what ever.

The ration we use for weaning consists of about 1/3 corn, 1/3 corn gluten pellet and 1/3 soyhull pellet. The actually percentages are a bit lower because there's also some mineral, limestone, cottonseed. They're on that ration for 6-8 weeks, about 1% up to 2% of their body weight. After the 6-8 weeks they're turned out with the cow herd and don;t get any supplement until th following spring breeding season and that's just to get thm into the catch pen. If the winter weather is particualry cold and wet we'll give them a little of the same supplemnt. It works out to around 13-13 1/2% protein.

dun

The calfs requirement for protein will also depend on the energy concentration of the ration. At higher energy levels, more protein will be required.
Without knowing how potent the concentrate you are feeding is it is difficult to say but my instinct is that you are feeding insufficient protein at such a high level of concentrate feeding.
For british breed heifers from 1-200 kg (225-450lbs) a ration of 11ME and 18% protein will support growth up to 1kg (2.2lbs) per day. For larger cattle (450lbs+) a protein level of 13% is sufficient.

Young cattle have the potential for rapid growth with a high proportion of lean, thats why they require higher levels of protein than older cattle. Your objective at 7-8 months should be to maximise lean growth and frame. If you underfeed protein at this stage the calf will not realise its potential for frame growth which will result in an underweight carcase when it is finished.

I currently run a small stocker operation out of south Florida. I run about 200 head of lightweight stocker calves (200-500 lbs.). I currently feed bakery waste (bread and sweets) mix with a very light ration of 12% weaning medicated feed. The calves run on native Bermuda grass and get all the feed they want. They will gain about 1.0 to 1.3 lbs a day. I was wondering if I just putting them on just straight feed what kind of results would I be getting. And would it be feasible to feed just feed.

Latest posts