When to feed hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
The grass is tall but it has no green to it. Its yellow in colour and dry by this time of year. My steer are eating it and grazing. I am also giving grain. Should I be giving hay as well? They always moo at the hay barn but I don't know if its because they need it and are hungry or just spoiled...

5S Cattle said:
They'll eat the tall grass. Just a steer?

I have two farms right now. One has 2 steer. I have not added hay yet but they moo at me every time they see me. But, they are pets and maybe spoiled? First time ive ever left these 2 to grass and grain alone.

My other farm is the same. Lots of tall dead looking grass. This field has a bull, 6 calves and 6 cows. We gave them a round bale yesterday. They were also only getting grass and grain the last 2 months.

Will they get enough from this dead looking grass to keep them healthy? Here is a pic of what type of grass im dealing with.

cowgal604 said:
The grass is tall but it has no green to it. Its yellow in colour and dry by this time of year. My steer are eating it and grazing. I am also giving grain. Should I be giving hay as well? They always moo at the hay barn but I don't know if its because they need it and are hungry or just spoiled...
No need to feed them extra hay .the grass their eating is pretty much standing hay..but not a lot of protein in it most likely ..if I were to do anything right now.. it would be supplement with a protein block or tub..but your graining them already ..

ALACOWMAN said:
cowgal604 said:
No need to feed them extra hay .the grass their eating is pretty much standing hay..but not a lot of protein in it most likely ..if I were to do anything right now.. it would be supplement with a protein block or tub..but your graining them already ..

Great thank you. I do provide a mineral tub and salt lick.

I would agree that if they're getting grain to supplement the pasture grass, then they are probably set for now. A loose mineral salt would be a good idea, however. The main thing to check would be the body condition of the cows and older steers. If they are in good body condition (at least a 5 on the 1 to 9 body condition score chart) then they are fine. if they are on the thin side, then add more grain to their diet or start adding good quality hay. You don't want the animals to be in poor body condition heading into winter.

Check their manure - that tells you most everything you need to know about what they are eating. If it is hard turds like a horse, they might need a little more protein - like a block or tub or higher protein grain. A salt lick is worthless in my book - but others would disagree. Unless you are in an area that is providing all the vitamins & minerals needed for a cow (which I do not know of any in the great USA), they need loose mineral that contains salt as a limiter. As mentioned, watch the body condition of the nursing cows. "Feeding is in the eye of the master". You must look at your cattle and learn what they NEED to look like and what their manure is telling you.