When to breed young heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I have 10 new heifers that will come a year old in Feb or March. Will it be ok to breed them at 15 months or should I wait? I am pretty knowledge bout horses but know little on cows. I have a young bull(14 months) running with my 2 year old heifers now but plan to get him out before introducing the young ones to the herd. Will it be ok to put him back with them when the young ones are 15 months old?

The rules of thumb is 65% of their mature weight and to calve at 24 months. The 24 month part is easy, breed them at 15 months. The 65% deal is where it can get tricky. The usual question is who do you know how much they'll weight when mature. So here's MY personal rule of thumb. British breeds 650, continental and continental crosses 750.

dun

I agree although we wait till our's are 2 years old. Just to be careful and I don't wanna start a ruckess b/c I know that is a while to wait but everything turns out better not to be in a rush the outcomes are better.
Ellie May

In the true world of cattle, economically, you need they calving at 24 months old - BUT, as Dun says, they must be BIG enough. It is most profitable to feed them out properly as young heifers so that they are large enough at breeding time, and fed properly so that they continue to grow - not get fat - to calve out at 24 months old.

Latest posts