WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO WEAN CALVES

Help Support CattleToday:

rustyb

Reaction score
i know it might be a simple question.... im not sure, but ye i would like some insight on this topic

im planing on using a jersey cow, 1 for now , and using her as a mother for calves i will buy at the local calf sales , (week olds)

at the moment we have a jersy feeding a week old angus heifer calf we bought yesterday

they have bonded well and they are getting on well with the calf getting the milk it wants.

when would be the optimal time to wean her off, growth and developement wise ? , once she is weaned she will join the herd on the farm , she is just on the house block at the moment.

so ye at what age should we wean her and take her to the rest of the herd ?

is it ok once shes weaned to move her away on the same day ?

so ye what age , plus any more information would be greatly appreciated

one last question , bit off topic kinda , but at what age should you castrate a bull calf , would it make saense to castrate him after he is fully developed so he has a faster growth rate and a bigger body build ?

let me know what you think , thx

A normal weaning age is 6 to 7.5 months.....we normally take ours at 7 months - when we wean our keepers we have a pen in the pasture with the cows they will be joining later on (helps them get acquainted) then we just let them out with the herd....so I guess you could say that we 'let ours out the same day they are weaned'

As far as the best age to castrate calves, you are probably going to get many different answers with many different reasons

We wean our calves at 6 months.
We band our bull calves at birth, but some do it at branding time which can vary. Some even band at weaning time and keep the calves and pre condition them.
Alot of others just cut the bull calves a branding or working time.

Unless the "rest of the herd" is a group of similar-aged calves, you won't like how she looks at two. Nutrition requirements are too different and she won't compete too well.

205 days, so that momma cow can re-coop but if your just doing bobby calves i would get a new calf every 4 months til the 8 month mark.

What are your plans for the cow? If all she's going to do is raise a single calf or maybe a pair at a year, leave the calf/calves on her till around 6 1/2 - 7 months. If you are going to keep putting calves on her as you wean the older ones you can wean them around 8 weeks if they are eating a couple pounds a day of good calf starter grain. Pretty much like you would do with a bottle calf. If you are going to milk the cow after she raises the calf, whenever it's convenient after around 8 weeks would work.
For the castration deal, you can cut them young and theoretically lose some growth or cut them later and theoretically have them set back from the stres. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

The best time to wean is by the almanac.

The best age to wean has already been stated.

My nurse calves get weaned at 4 months and the cow gets another group for another 4 months. She is then dry for about 4 months and then the cycle starts over again. I have gone as early as 3 months on the calves depending on the situation. As Dun stated, you can go two. Much of it has to do with your intent for the calves.

Latest posts