When can I drink the milk

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
Someone told me that I should wait 10 days before drinking the milk from my cow. I have not milked her out yet. Today is the 3rd day. I will milk her out tomorrow. Is the 10 day waiting period correct?

Once the yellowish tinge has left the milk it's fine to drink

With the Jersey I used to have, I'd wait about 7 days or so.

As dun said, once the "yellowish tinge" has gone. The 10 day wait time should be more than enough.

Katherine

Technically you don't have to wait. The milk will just be really thick like melted ice cream.
If you want regular thickness milk then a week should be good.

Milk her out every day twice a day for three or four days. Get the coloustrom and what ever bloody looking first milk she's got out. Then you can start to tell when the milk will be good to drink.

when the milk turns white you can drink it.sometimes youll have to milk her out for 2 or 3 days before the milk turns white.

funky 4-Her":7j51vf9v said:
Technically you don't have to wait. The milk will just be really thick like melted ice cream.
If you want regular thickness milk then a week should be good.

That is exactly right. Foreign engineers keep hounding me for colostrum to drink. Their wives make some sweet type of dish out of it and it is highly sought out. I have never forked any over but they keep asking when they find out I have cows.

Personally, I'd milk her completely out a few cycles first, but it won't hurt you if you don't.

Freeze any colostrums you have. Just put it in gallon zip lock bags. It would be good for an orphan calf. Just never microwave it when you thaw it.

Hey she calved. How did it go and what did she have?
Congratulations :)

When you drink the milk is all a personal preference. First milking went in the bucket ,was fed to calf and then froze for future use.Second milk went in to the bucket and feedings for three more times were saved and fed to the calf what was left was fed to all calves.After that 3rd milking and on if the milk was good and not bloody it went in the tank but it was also being mixed with another 100 or so cows normal milk. She should be good to drink from now if it is all clear and no blood. I guess you just have to give it a try, make sure it is good and cold though.

Latest posts