Wheat straw

Help Support CattleToday:

mikegahr

Reaction score
I'm mixing one and a half 4x5 round bales of wheat straw with300lbs.of soybeans wheat and rice mixed, i add 100 lbs. of dried molasses. What do you think about that mix. Also the straw has quiet a bit of grain in also.

mikegahr":39ibk0ro said:
I'm mixing one and a half 4x5 round bales of wheat straw with300lbs.of soybeans wheat and rice mixed, i add 100 lbs. of dried molasses. What do you think about that mix. Also the straw has quiet a bit of grain in also.
The way I understand it, straw is your only roughage. I would be concerned about impaction with all the straw going through the cows. I'm also wondering what kind of mix you've got with the soy, wheat, and rice. Is there a certain amount of each or is it just whatever you've got is thrown in? How is this all mixed together? It sounds to me like this ration would seperate very easily and cows would be sorting for the grain. This can lead to disaster as some cows will eat nothing but concentrates with little or no roughage and have extreme cases of acidosis. To add to that, wheat is rapidly broke down and too much is not a good idea. Have I scared you enough yet? I don't know nearly enough of what you are doing but from the little bit you've told us I would not send my cows to your place and be fed this ration.

If you have a way to grind those beans as well as the wheat and rice you can probably cut way back on the amount of it you feed because none will be passing thru the cattle undigested. If you're grinding the hay and missing the grain with it add some water to the mix if it's possible.

I didn't explain I put out free choice hay and i Grind the grain and wheat straw together. The grain is mostly beans. I feed 20 or so 5 gal. buckets to about 50 momma's and calves and the buckets weigh about 20lbs.

mikegahr":17jxinxj said:
I didn't explain I put out free choice hay and i Grind the grain and wheat straw together. The grain is mostly beans. I feed 20 or so 5 gal. buckets to about 50 momma's and calves and the buckets weigh about 20lbs.

Equal amount of beans, wheat and rice?? You should be in good shape. I'd still add the water if possible to bind the grain mix to the hay and cut down on separation... Minimum of 10 lbs. of water per cow per day.