whats your other favorit type of livestock to show and why?

Help Support CattleToday:

Maineshowgirl

Reaction score
I know everyone on here loves showing cattle. But what is your other favorit livestock to show. Just thought I would ask everyone esle because tonight I got my lamb for my home town show.Cattle and sheep are my all time favorit two animals to show. So what is your other favorit, and why? :D :?: :D

Sheep and goats are retarted, pigs stink, and rabbits are for wimps, I'll stick to my cattle.

I'm ALOT better at showmanship with goats and hogs than I am with cattle, I'd still choose to show a calf over anything else though.

WEll I guess we are wimps because my kids started out showing market rabbits as their projects an they still do as a back up profit. I sell to kids all over Texas now for their projects.
We also must be retarted because we show market goats too. That was their second project.
An now we show market steers so we must be stupid too. They are the most work an take more money.

Out of the three the market rabbits make the most profit. YOu raise a pen for 6-10 weeks depending on if you buy or raise them. Say you buy a pen for $100+30.for feed an resale at our county show is $1000-2500.

BUT the steers are the most fun. I guess because they are a bigger challenge.
An also Cowboy before you knock other projects every kid dont have the room or money it takes to show cattle. Im sure every kid that shows project wishes they could show cattle.

Tabor":3r73r1vk said:
WEll I guess we are wimps because my kids started out showing market rabbits as their projects an they still do as a back up profit. I sell to kids all over Texas now for their projects.
We also must be retarted because we show market goats too. That was their second project.
An now we show market steers so we must be stupid too. They are the most work an take more money.

Out of the three the market rabbits make the most profit. YOu raise a pen for 6-10 weeks depending on if you buy or raise them. Say you buy a pen for $100+30.for feed an resale at our county show is $1000-2500.

An also Cowboy before you knock other projects every kid dont have the room or money it takes to show cattle. Im sure every kid that shows project wishes they could show cattle.

I was just talking about my experiance. I've shown everything there I mentioned. My sister still shows rabbits.

That is so true Tabor, not everyone has the money, and the room. I must fit some of those to because I LOVE showing market lambs. I've never show rabbits, but I think its good to starte off lil kids who won't show off with them. Because they don't cost that much but your not out that much if the kid backs out of showing. I would have to say about the only thing I WILL NOT show is birds, you can make some money but I really don't like showing birds, helped someone show birds before and that was anuff. Pigs are fun but not my favorit but my favorit part of showing pigs is showmanship. And I've show goat for two years and I really got broad with them. Don't get me wrong if your going to run points it a lot cheaper to run goats Vs lambs. I can get a really good goat for 150-350 but when your talking about lambs it around 1260-2000. But this year I just showing cattle, pigs, lambs. Good luck to everyone.

My faveriote are horses and cattle. I love to work with them and see how far they've come since I first got them =}

Tabor":2vcnmisy said:

people pay 2500 for a bunny? :eek:

I love showing goats . . . Angoras because you drag them into the ring then get to sit on a chair and do nothing until the judge makes up his mind, and the only preparation is getting them out of the pens. Boers because its an absolute circus when the judge asks you to let them go and then you have to catch them again :lol: I also think I am stupid to show cattle as they cost the most, take the most work, and the shows are the least laid back out of them all. But I love my cows :D

Oh and I love doing the calf fancy dress class, its great!

Horses, Cattle and Goats.

Showed goats for school a few years ago, didn't really do anything. :p

Horses, I was practically born in a saddle, so it's sorta just natural.

Cattle, as Keren said the one you put the most work into(with the exception of maybe horses) and then the shows are the most laid back.

Cattle are probably the top for me though.

*Cowgirl*":21ke0iok said:
Tabor":21ke0iok said:

people pay 2500 for a bunny? :eek:

Yes just about every year the grand pen has brought $2500. reserve $1500. here the last few years 3rd-15th brings $1000.

Cowboy 2.0":367qclq9 said:
Sheep and goats are retarted, pigs stink, and rabbits are for wimps, I'll stick to my cattle.

I wonder if people who show the sheeps and goats can spell retarded.

I like goats and rabbit taste delicious. I dont show anything other than my bike though.

I'm just talking about their mental issues. They have got to be the dumbest animals on earth.

I dont neccessarily think goats are dumb, but I was just kidding with you anyway.

My daughter loved the chickens that she showed and they returned the most profit. Not that 4-H is for profit. But she sure loved getting that check.

She got $438.00 for 4 broilers. She had the reserve champions and 6th place. 2 per pen.

She still loves the cows.

I showed hogs and done very well with them. I never showed cattle but my brother did. I done all the work Feeding everthing ( cows and hogs ) and he helped but never really enjoyed it. We even had pidgions ( I know that is't spelled right ) They would roll until they almost hit the ground then fly up and do it again. JHH

Kids show pigs and cattle. Daughter wants to show a lamb, but I know nothing about them and have been a little reserved to let her. I will probably branch out and let her when she is a little older and can handle more responsibility and work. She stays pretty busy with a couple bovine and a pig at 11 years old.

I have always leaned towards only showing things that I am willing to eat. Probably the only thing I would not let my kids bring on the place to show would be a Llama. Just do not have any use for them things, besides they scare me. :lol:

Latest posts