what's your best weather predictor???

Help Support CattleToday:

xtrmeharley

Reaction score
Hello all,
It's been a while since I've had a chance to look at the boards, but I was just wonderin what 'ol wise tails everyone had heard of as far as predicting the weather was concerned. This rainy season here in the San Luis Valley got me to thinkin about this here lately. Somewheres in my short life I was told that if there was a dead snake, belly side up, in the middle of the road then it would probably rain fairly soon. The same went for turtles crossing the road and flies biting. Just curious, hope all is well.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2vl36no4 said:
My knees tell me when its going to rain....

Hip and neck for me. I also watch the world around me, what are the birds doing, how are all the animals behaving, the trees, etc.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":3vk7omwj said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3vk7omwj said:
My knees tell me when its going to rain....

Hip and neck for me. I also watch the world around me, what are the birds doing, how are all the animals behaving, the trees, etc.

Katherine

Oh yes....I forgot the hip and neck part...especially the neck part.... :shock:

Well, according to the old timers up here, when the little gnat's and no-see-ums get bad in the evenings it will rain. So far it has been pretty accurate........if one waits long enough! ;-)

xtrmeharley":3v96aarb said:
Hello all,
It's been a while since I've had a chance to look at the boards, but I was just wonderin what 'ol wise tails everyone had heard of as far as predicting the weather was concerned. This rainy season here in the San Luis Valley got me to thinkin about this here lately. Somewheres in my short life I was told that if there was a dead snake, belly side up, in the middle of the road then it would probably rain fairly soon. The same went for turtles crossing the road and flies biting. Just curious, hope all is well.

if that was the case it would rain all the time here.

we have a gunshy dog that is pretty good at predicting thunderstorms...

Some of the oldtimers around here would take a shallow dish and fill with water then invert a coke bottle half full of water in this. The barimetric pressure would cause the water in the coke bottle to rise and fall. As far as prodicting the weather it would always start a argument if fall or rising water meant rain. A lot of the country stores had them set up.

I agree with Crowder. Cut hay and IT WILL RAIN. I'm not even half way done yet and we expect to get 6-11 inches from this latest storm sitting out off the coast.

I have my own method. I go outside look around and give it a guess. I am more accurate than our TV weathermen. :x

A weather rock. You hanf it outside. If it's moving from side to side it's windy, wet it's raining, white it's snowing, shiny it's sunny, bouncing up and down and it's an earthquake. If you can;t see it it's night.

dun

udbinawrock.jpg

This is what we use in Udbina Croatia it more reliable than the National Weather Service in League City, TX or The National Ocenanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), however it is pretty much universal depending on the area it just takes a simple re-callibration..... (adjusting the rope holder)

Seems like the fireants go into a bedmaking frenzy if a storms coming. Giant hords of birds will move in from the ocean and inland before an intense hurricane. My horses usually run to the barn if a thunderstorm is brewing. The fish bite like crazy when the barometer is falling.

Pin oak leaves will turn white side up if the barometer starts to fall. By the time the cows head to the woods, you are gonna get wet before you get to the barn.

my grandfather used the old snake belly up as an indicator!
he also watched fence lines for birds hanging lizards and such on the barbed wire. he said the higher they hung them the more snow we would get. was pretty accurate, more so that the local weather persons.
i personally feel that weather is 50 -50% either it will or it won't!
no 10% chance of rain here :D :D
actually the farmers almanac is more accurate than most forecasters :D

there's also the old tale that if there is a cricket, alive, and chirping in your house it will rain. the bug indicator is usually fairly good too. i don't know about everyone else, but around here some can smell the rain comin sometimes.

The older farmers around by us, say whenever we hear the train whistles in the valley next day it will rain, it usually has been right on! Hope I hear it soon! Gail :)

A guy I worked with at a nursery said that you can look at the jet trails in the sky.... if you see the trails from planes then it's gonna rain within 72 hours within 100 miles of where you are. Sounds kinda silly, but it kinda is true.

Latest posts