Whats wrong with my calf??

Help Support CattleToday:

Moomoogirl

Reaction score
My cow gave birth to a calf this morning. The calf was REALLY little, and kinda sleepy. I propped the calf up so that it could breath better and I waited about a half a hour. The momma cow cleaned it up really good, but the calf wont stand up. It also keeps sticking its tongue out for some reason. It's been a few hours since its birth but it still wont stand and its tongue is still sticking out. when I tried to stand it up myself, it was stiff and wouldnt move its legs, it just keeps trying to go back to sleep. The momma cow has had 2 other babies on my farm, they were both big, strong, and healthy, unlike this one. What should I do?? :frowns:

Sounds like it might be premature.

Have you fed it colostrum? Evidently it can't feed itself - you may need to milk the cow and offer it a bottle or tube it.
Once it's fed, just observe to see if it gets any stronger. If it's still not standing and suckling 8 - 10 hours later you'll need to keep feeding it. It's possible the calf is too premature/disabled to be viable, but some come right after a few days.

My calves stick their tongue out at me too; when they want their bottle.

Yes I fed it some colostrum, but sadly it died last night. :( I think he was 2 or 3 weeks premature. Hopefully our other cows give us some healther babies. Thanks for the advice anyways, the calf was just too little I think.

Moomoogirl":1qti91xp said:
Yes I fed it some colostrum, but sadly it died last night. :( I think he was 2 or 3 weeks premature. Hopefully our other cows give us some healther babies. Thanks for the advice anyways, the calf was just too little I think.
This link may help you to see how early it was:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44910

We run around 10,000 head a year and we just drench them 3 times a day but of the tube is too big then try to bottle fed it 3-4 times a day all the milk will not b drank from a bottle so that is why we drinch hope that helps if their is no Improvment then try some zero power it's a power that gives the animal proten and energy have a good one

M2 read the posts above, the calf sadly passed. Moomoo i'm sorry for your loss, we've all had it happen before, hopefully all your other calves are healthy. M2 what makes you think a healthy calf wont take enough out of a bottle? A sick or weak one fair enough but your post makes it sound like you routinely "drench" (i'm assuming you mean tube) every calf because they don't drink enough from a bottle. ?

Just out of interest: a while back I mentioned a Jersey cow of mine had had a tiny (less than 10 kg) premature calf, though fully covered in hair. I checked her dates and she was fifteen days early.
I've been thinking it over and over since - because fifteen days just didn't make sense. She didn't spring and is still, weeks later, producing very little milk. I reckon she must have gone on to the next cycle and that was a five - six week premature calf I found.
Two to three weeks early, the calf is quite likely to live.

Latest posts