What's This?

Help Support CattleToday:

VZCR

Reaction score
This seems to like the saturated ground we have latley. It's thriving, and don't mind getting sprayed with 2,4-D. Does anyone know what it is and how to kill it without killing the bermuda grass? My horses don't eat it, :p , they prefer the bermuda. :lol: Notice the roots in the lower stems. Runners?

MVC-002S1.JPG

I tryed the weed website, but I couldn't find it there.......Thanks!

i cant remember what its called but we had it in a pasture a few years ago. you'll just have to spot spray it with roundup.

its real tenacious

Running Arrow Bill":3tz0ay4g said:
Crab Grass?

Quack Grass?

I don't know...........but I'll bet someone does. I would have to call it Swamp Grass if I was going to put a name to it, because it really is going good in these swampy conditions we have latley.....

Crab grass or giant foxail. As young plans, before shooting out a seed spike they resemble each other.

Angus/Brangus":2qgvlohi said:
Don't know about Foxtail but here's a picture of that too. I don't see that purplish tint lower on the stem.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/setvi.htm
Yep, Its crab grass from the pics and description, I do have that fox tail in places, but this is a larger plant and spreads out fast. Is there a selective herbicide that you know of, or is it a job for roundup?

It is crabgrass alright. The best way I know to kill it is to prevent it. When you spray in the early spring to clean up your hay fields add some (Atrozeen)sp. This will prevent it from sprouting. The winter cold will kill it.

horses dont eat it? horses should certainly eat crabgrass. (my horses tear it up).it sounds like everyone agrees that its crabgrass except me. crabgrass tends to be hairyish. this is shiney and slick looking. it looks to me like what we call waterpepper around here. aka ladysthumb, smartass, smartweed. there are different varieties. horses wont touch the stuff and cows dont like it either. grows around the edges of ponds mostly on our place and in swampy areas. its a lot harder to kill with spray than is crabgrass too. it will spread rapidly with runners and then start growing tall. crabgrass doesnt really make a LOT of runners does it? (i guess there are different types of crabgrass too though). does this weed have flowers or put out a seed head?

waterpepper:
pema24_001_shp.jpg

ocrea_250.jpg

ladysthumbleavesA.jpg

polpe3337w.jpg

Not smart weed, too hick of a clump. My wife has gotten to the point she can;t toerae i anymore. I just get a little tingle if I get it in. She braeks out like she's been rolling in a bee hive. Welts all over.
The problem with something as common as crabgrass is there are a least a couple of dozen variations on the stuff. he crabgass arund here doesn;t get he purple look ill it's already headed out. The sure fire way to tell what it is would be to let it go to seed.
goose grass and barnyard grass sort of resemble he plant too.
If the horses wont it eat get cows. They'll eat the stuff like candy

Does anyone know what it is and how to kill it without killing the bermuda grass?

MSMA would kill it without killing the Bermuda but then again, you couldn't graze it either.

Looks like Smooth Crabgrass. Cows love it.

MikeC":3amhy3lj said:
Does anyone know what it is and how to kill it without killing the bermuda grass?

MSMA would kill it without killing the Bermuda but then again, you couldn't graze it either.

Looks like Smooth Crabgrass. Cows love it.
Thats fine then, I'll roll it up when the field drys up enough to get into, and feed it to some hungry cows...........It'll be good stuff because its mixed in with all that new tifton 85 I sprigged in there, lots of coastal too.....bonus! :lol: :lol:

interesting. ive been out looking at crabgrass all day now. lol. i dont have that kind, apparently. mine is all the hairy kind. *sidenote* crabgrass tastes bitter, waterpepper tastes HOTT.

Beefy":ym03fgsu said:
interesting. ive been out looking at crabgrass all day now. lol. i dont have that kind, apparently. mine is all the hairy kind. *sidenote* crabgrass tastes bitter, waterpepper tastes HOTT.
Yep, this is the hairy kind, its real hard to see those little hairs, especially when your eyes start getting weak from old age and its tall. I went out just now and looked real close and could see those little fine hairs on it. I tasted it this morning, chewed on the stem and it was pretty good tasting, so I went over and tryed to make the stud horse eat some. He chewed it a little, but opted for the lush coastal he was grazing on. I figured cows would eat it from the way it tasted to me. It will require more drying time because of the water it has in those thick stems........I wonder what the nutritional value is to it.....I'll bet if it had a more attractive name, it would be desireable in a hay field............... :D

i wouldnt even bother spraying it, just harvest it. the bermuda will eventually choke it out when it comes on strong. cows love it. i think its pretty good nutritionally too.

Beefy":3gx3sedt said:
i wouldnt even bother spraying it, just harvest it. the bermuda will eventually choke it out when it comes on strong. cows love it. i think its pretty good nutritionally too.
Yep, Sounds like a good plan to me..........Thank ya'll for all the help. This board is the best reference and knowledge base I've ever seen. Thanks again!!!! :D

More thunder outside, already had 1/2" early this morning, sounds like some more comming again, I better go put the tools up again........ :lol: :lol:

Beefy,Thanks for posting a picture of that waterpepper I have some of that stuff and could never figure out what it was.
What do you use to kill it.

i think i finally wound up just pulling it up. i do a lot of pulling. i may have eventually killed some with roundup, but its resistant to a lot of sprays i think. glad i helped even if i was wrong. :oops:

*careful, apparently some people are sensitive to it. would have been good to know before i chewed on it today, lol. luckily it does not seem to affect me.*

I have been fighting what you call waterpeper for years. I call it "Smartweed." With the drought this year I have very little of it. I have been spot treating it in pasture with grazon with good results. I think 2-4D would work also. Round up does not work as well unless you give it a good dose but then you kill the grass around it and leave a bald spot for more weeds to come up. Try Garzon or Surmount and you can mix in a little remedy if you like.
I have never had trouble with it in the hay field so you may be able to keep it cut and kill it.

Never tried it but ran across this a few months back on several web sites. http://www.gluten.iastate.edu/

Also read that corn gluten is about 10% nitrogen. Some golf courses use the gluten to stop annual seeds from sprouting and get a kick of nitrogen too.

The picture at the beginning of the thread, we had that here but never heard it called crabgrass. And I have no idea what it's called. I've had problem with it in some low places on the farm that tend to stay wet on normal years. (Normal years? What's that anymore? :shock: ) The cows and drought must take care of it now because I haven't seen any since our row crop years. We do have several types of crabgrass but I don't think that's crab grass in that picture. Haven't seen any crabgrass this year. Never got enough moisture to bring it up.

Latest posts