whats the point in your roughage?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We are experimenting with some feeds that we are making ourselves. I have a couple of questions. One feed is shelled corn, cotton seed meal, candy, minerals, and calcium. The next mixture is the same combination just less corn and add gin trash as the replacement. The feed without the gin trash looks and smells a lot better than the feed with gin trash. (This question is for argument purposes by the way so i need some good points) I would say we have seen some, i wouldnt say scoured, but more runny than normal poop when feeding the feed without gin trash. Does the gin trash as roughage help them digest better and keep them from having the runs? How does that work in the rumen? Both groups have had free choice decent quailty hay. You would think we could feed the feed without gin trash and be okay becuase of the free choice hay as roughage but that doesnt seem to be the case.

Gin trash (roughage) will bulk up the feed, slow down eating rate and also slow down digestion....all being good things. When you add the trash be sure and adjust the CSM to hold your crude protein level where you want it.

All cotton products improve the digestion of everything fed with it. Gin trash is far better roughage than hay. Gin trash is by far less valuable for energy and protein than hay. Its a real balancing act to decide if Gin trash has value in a growing ration.

I use it if I can get it cheap enough, and I have some other cheap ingredients(energy/protein) to offset its shortages.My biggest problem is that it takes up storage space, if not I would always use some(if it stays cheap). The calves always do well when its included at a low level(8%-10%). Any higher than that and its hard to balance protein and energy,

Howdyjabo said:
All cotton products improve the digestion of everything fed with it. Gin trash is far better roughage than hay. Gin trash is by far less valuable for energy and protein than hay. Its a real balancing act to decide if Gin trash has value in a growing ration.

I use it if I can get it cheap enough, and I have some other cheap ingredients(energy/protein) to offset its shortages.My biggest problem is that it takes up storage space, if not I would always use some(if it stays cheap). The calves always do well when its included at a low level(8%-10%). Any higher than that and its hard to balance protein and energy,[/quote
:shock: :shock: Please explain .. Balancing shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry --balancing cost effectively. Other roughage's end up being cheaper than trying to bring the values of Gin trash up at higher inclusion rates.

Howdyjabo":38xdl4is said:
Sorry --balancing cost effectively. Other roughage's end up being cheaper than trying to bring the values of Gin trash up at higher inclusion rates.
Most of the gin trash I've dealt with was guaranteed from 8 to 11% crude protein because some seed is always left behind during ginning. All that would really be needed would be a good energy source to raise net energy levels. Corn would be great this year especially.

last I tested had a negative Neg
No tmuch use in that for feeders

Howdyjabo":ser99wyy said:
last I tested had a negative Neg
No tmuch use in that for feeders
That too is what I just said about the energy...... but works wonders in maintaining rumen health.

Latest posts