What's the biggest calf you ever weaned?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Topic says it all. I'm talking fresh off the cow. I leave mine on till their 8 months old, so mine might be a little inflated. Just wonder what others wean.

I've weaned a lot at about 750, but that's about as big as they'll get in 7 months... I have a few candidates for that weight this year, but they'll be weaned at about 6 months/650 lb max.

The biggest calf I ever weaned off a cow was 900 lb. He was 10 months old and still sucking mom. Cow bawled for a week for him when I separated them.

I had three last year that weaned off from 725 to 750 at 8 months weaning in July. Even though we have had more rain this year, the Rye grass had better growing conditions last year and all the calves weaned out bigger than average. The herd in general looks better this year and is 10% larger in numbers but the calves will not be quite as big I don't think. I am keeping them all at least two extra weeks on their mommas because of the excess forage.

I weaned one yesterday. Weaned it on the trailer. That's not like me to do that. A big steer weighed 880 at almost exactly 8 months old. He had a big naval, and showed some ear. Took a hit on him on his price per pound.

Man that's a big 8 month old calf. Did he go to Guthrie? The market was all over the place there yesterday.

Ojp6":280yvijd said:
Man that's a big 8 month old calf. Did he go to Guthrie? The market was all over the place there yesterday.

Yea, he didn't do well at all. I knew he was going to get a swift kick on sale day. My daughter went to the sale, to see her calves sell. I was busy, and didn't go. She commented it was all over the place. I hadn't looked at the report. That's usually a sign the bottom is coming out.

Riley's weren't in so it just threw the whole market off. Jeff didn't even bid on about the first 200 head through the door so everything was a little cheaper. They sold 2 pot loads that King's from over in Hopkinsville bought, 780 lb steers for 2.13 and another load for 2.10 which was a decent price but then some 850 lb eared red heifers only brought 1.27. The number 1 graded calves did pretty good without to much help from Jeff though.

There's at least a half dozen of us on here that sell at Guthrie. We gotta orchestrate a meeting this fall.

Bigfoot":dwvt0khs said:
I weaned one yesterday. Weaned it on the trailer. That's not like me to do that. A big steer weighed 880 at almost exactly 8 months old. He had a big naval, and showed some ear. Took a hit on him on his price per pound.
Can you say what he brought?

That is a big'n.

Check won't come till Monday. The old man watched him sell, but can't hear. Well under the $2 mark he thinks.

The graded heavy 8 weights there was like 4 hd weighed somewhere around 880 and brought around 1.80 but I don't know if he was in there or not.

Latest posts