What would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I have been in the process of sorting out some cows to cull. Word got out, and couple of people came by interested in buying a few. These folks weren't cattlemen, but wanted 4 or 5 to have on their place. Both times, I rode them around I found myself telling them all I found wrong with the cows instead of pointing out all the good points. (These are some nice cows - they just don't fit what I'm doing.) After they left, I thought about it and realized I could never be a salesman because I probably killed any possibility of selling to these people.

How do you handle selling your "culls"?

I have been somewhat sucessful pointing out both the good & bad points. I have records of calf performance that helps point out the good as well as comments on disposition & such & am honest as to why I want them to go.

i would be appreciative of your pointing out their flaws but if i were you i'd also point out their strengths. this could help sell the ones that are "fixable" or have a few good years left, etc.

Jogeephus":3biztvu5 said:
I have been in the process of sorting out some cows to cull. Word got out, and couple of people came by interested in buying a few. These folks weren't cattlemen, but wanted 4 or 5 to have on their place. Both times, I rode them around I found myself telling them all I found wrong with the cows instead of pointing out all the good points. (These are some nice cows - they just don't fit what I'm doing.) After they left, I thought about it and realized I could never be a salesman because I probably killed any possibility of selling to these people.

How do you handle selling your "culls"?

You sound like my husband. He's in the mobile home business but says he could never sell them because he'd just talk everyone out of expensive options that they couldn't use, so he's just going to keep on the manufacturing end of it. He tried selling cars once and wasn't too good at that, either. Too honest!

Honesty is always the best route. If I looked at cows and all the owner could talk about is how good they are. Well :roll: :roll: :cboy:

mnmt

mnmtranching":95xb7tpm said:
Honesty is always the best route. If I looked at cows and all the owner could talk about is how good they are. Well :roll: :roll: :cboy:

mnmt

Exactly. I had a guy trying to sell me someone else's culls he had bought at a bargain and all I could think was "horse trader".

If you are selling culls, I would point out deficiencies, and give their history. If those cows have a good history, tell them. If they buy cows at auction, they get no history. If something is wrong, disclose it, but point out the good too.

I got someone's cull that I am having a hard time parting with. She has a calf every 11 months and it is always a good calf. She is 1/2 Charlais and 1/2 angus, short legged as all get out, and has a knot on her jaw. If I sell her, she won't bring much. If I keep her, she'll keep bringing me good calves. So she is staying.

backhoeboogie":3914d301 said:
mnmtranching":3914d301 said:

mnmt

Exactly. I had a guy trying to sell me someone else's culls he had bought at a bargain and all I could think was "horse trader".

If you are selling culls, I would point out deficiencies, and give their history. If those cows have a good history, tell them. If they buy cows at auction, they get no history. If something is wrong, disclose it, but point out the good too.

I got someone's cull that I am having a hard time parting with. She has a calf every 11 months and it is always a good calf. She is 1/2 Charlais and 1/2 angus, short legged as all get out, and has a knot on her jaw. If I sell her, she won't bring much. If I keep her, she'll keep bringing me good calves. So she is staying.

Excellent idea! :D

Alice

Beefy":m6ve589p said:
i would be appreciative of your pointing out their flaws but if i were you i'd also point out their strengths. this could help sell the ones that are "fixable" or have a few good years left, etc.

This is right on target. Give them the whole picture, not just all bad or all good. Then let them make the decision.

mnmtranching":1x4tvigz said:

mnmt

This is what I have always been told and it has always worked for me. I'm probably a little too cautious when selling to folks since I like to see them prosper with my cows. A few years ago I sold a man 10 top heifers and I'd check on them from time to time. One was doing terrible. Looked bad beside the others and worst yet beside some he bought from a neighbor. I ask him if they had wormed her. He said he had. So I figured she had something else wrong with her and refunded him his money and took her back. Called the vet. She was full of worms :mad:

Anyhow, I loaded my culls up last week and headed for the sale. I had stopped at a store and several people looked were cooing and cawing over the cows and a cattleman bought them from me on the spot. He paid me what I felt was a premium and we were both happy.

I guess someone had other plans for my girls. ;-)

Latest posts