What Will The Effect Be?

Help Support CattleToday:

[Anyway im glad horse slaughter is on its way out and the more non horsemen out of the industry the better.]

We should all remember - All of us started out as "non-horsemen" at somepoint - Nobody is born knowing everything.

Yes it is a problem when folks buy a horse not knowing what is involved in caring for it properly and it's unfortunate some animals suffer for the ignorance of thier owners - but this is not the fault of the horse market nor will it be cured by the elimination of the horse markets. Speaking frankly, I've owned a few horses that ended up there - injuries, old age, and at the time I had no other way to dispose of them, and the cost to have them destroyed and disposed of by the vet was prohibitive. I've had others that I thought might deserve to meet thier end there as well. I wouldn't want to eat a horse - but who am I to criticize the guy that does.

My problem is with the breeders who are breeding horses that they have no market for.
Honestly im not sure where I stand on horse slaughter anymore. Seems horses lose regardless.
But these people who breed horses that nobody wants and then wont or cant train the horses so that they are marketable.
Well I dont feel sorry for them if they are losing money.

sjr725":2ddrk7w8 said:
[Anyway im glad horse slaughter is on its way out and the more non horsemen out of the industry the better.]

We should all remember - All of us started out as "non-horsemen" at somepoint - Nobody is born knowing everything.

Yes it is a problem when folks buy a horse not knowing what is involved in caring for it properly and it's unfortunate some animals suffer for the ignorance of thier owners - but this is not the fault of the horse market nor will it be cured by the elimination of the horse markets. Speaking frankly, I've owned a few horses that ended up there - injuries, old age, and at the time I had no other way to dispose of them, and the cost to have them destroyed and disposed of by the vet was prohibitive. I've had others that I thought might deserve to meet thier end there as well. I wouldn't want to eat a horse - but who am I to criticize the guy that does.

Latest posts