What to spray

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I have a realitivly good bermuda field about 15 acres or so. It has some mixed grass in there and I would like to know what and when to spray to get rid of the junk. I live close to Memphis and we have had a very mild winter so far. I know it's hard to believe but some bermuda is greening up. Is it time to spray? Thanks.

Get some help in identifying what the "mixed "grass is. If it is bahia, then it can be controlled out of bermuda using Cimmarron (formerly Ally) or a generic form. If it is dallisgrass, this will be more difficult.

I live in Southeast Texas and grow JIGGS Bermuda for most all types of weeds in my bermuda fields I will spray HONCHO which is the same as ROUND UP. You will stunt your field but I have not killed mine in Ten years. I mix 16 ounces to every thirty gallons of water and I spray thirty gallons to the acre. Works for me I will cut my field around Easter depending on the weather and spray about 3 days later. On my lease fields that are not Bermuda I will spray grazon with real good luck our native grass is Bahia.

wbrowning":36ekg460 said:
I live in Southeast Texas and grow JIGGS Bermuda for most all types of weeds in my bermuda fields I will spray HONCHO which is the same as ROUND UP. You will stunt your field but I have not killed mine in Ten years. I mix 16 ounces to every thirty gallons of water and I spray thirty gallons to the acre. Works for me I will cut my field around Easter depending on the weather and spray about 3 days later. On my lease fields that are not Bermuda I will spray grazon with real good luck our native grass is Bahia.

Do I understand you right? You are spraying 16 ounces of roundup / acre in the spring after the bermuda is growing.
I know brumuda is very tolerant of round up but that i2 a lot of round up. I put out 10 oz last Feb and stunted mine bad and killed spots. Now it was the first that this field had ever been sprayed with round up also. This year I plan to go with 2-4-d to kill the henbit and cut the wild ryegrass in the spring.
As for the other weed grasses I hope to try a wiper bar to clean that up mid summer.

alabama":3nj9p97w said:
This year I plan to go with 2-4-d to kill the henbit

I finally found somethign that kills henbit. I thought it was about impossible to kill but a week of a couple of inches of ice seems to have done wonders.

dun

It takes 5 qts. of Roundup to kill bermuda grass. A pt. (16 ozs) is 1/10 the rate to kill bermuda. You may burn it when it is green, but it should recover. We use that to kill crabgrass out of bermuda after the first cutting. We also use it to control ryegrass in bermuda spraying it before green up.

dun":3sl50dbi said:
alabama":3sl50dbi said:

I finally found somethign that kills henbit. I thought it was about impossible to kill but a week of a couple of inches of ice seems to have done wonders.

dun

I wonder if i could melt the ice and put it in my sprayer?

alabama":2ppe9npe said:
dun":2ppe9npe said:
alabama":2ppe9npe said:

dun

I wonder if i could melt the ice and put it in my sprayer?

:roll: No problem.

Latest posts