What to plant

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
We're looking for something to plant for fall and early winter grazing. Other than rye or wheat. Just looking for suggestions.

Old timers used to just broadcast oats and hope it rained. I drilled in Jap millet on the 4th of July, and I drill an oats/winter rye/turnip mix this August.

I've read a couple articles about turnips. If I remember correctly they are a late season crop and provide a lot of tons of feed per acre. But I think you need to strip graze them.

ChrisB":2hff2fie said:
I've read a couple articles about turnips. If I remember correctly they are a late season crop and provide a lot of tons of feed per acre. But I think you need to strip graze them.

I used to know a guy who planted turnips in his feed lot after the feeders were gone. Cows didn't seem to shun them like anything else grown in high manure soil.

Dad planted a patch of turnips for the deer and they came up real good and made a lot of forage. The deer absolutely loved them, I was actually thinking about planting some for the cattle this year. I was wondering if they would eat the turnip or just the greens.

The greens are the majority of what the cattle consume, but our neighbor claims that they also will pull up the turnips and eat them. There are different types of turnips from your garden variety to turnips made for forage, which have more greens.

frenchie":26ygchoo said:
triticale

there are people around here that use that as a early spring planted feed and hay it or graze it, never seen it for winter. How well does it work?

Jake":2zxjuw7i said:
frenchie":2zxjuw7i said:
triticale

there are people around here that use that as a early spring planted feed and hay it or graze it, never seen it for winter. How well does it work?

Has worked very well here. There is both spring and winter tritcale varieties.

Plant medicinal mary jane (aka bud, hemp,weed, jane, maryjawanna, smoke, etc)...I swear one day it will be legal to use......you would then have a head start...in the mean time you would also have some very groovy, mellow, and happy cattle. :lol: :cboy:

Latest posts