What to look for after Lute?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Bought a black brangus heifer today from a local guy, he said he didnt think she was bred but she possibly could be. I took her to the only vet I found open on Saturday since I am heading out of town next week. Turns out she is 3-4 months bred to a brahma and only 13 months old. Had the vet give her a shot of lute but this vet was incompetent to say the least. How long does it take to work if it does? This lady had to call her husband before she gave the shot. Guess she doesnt work on cattle so much. The guy said his brahma bull throws pretty good size babys.

She should abort within 30 days, "should' being the operative word. I've never had one abort until at least 2 weeks after the shot; look for blood on her tail/backside. If she is that far along & you don't see signs of abortion you may want to have her preg checked again - Lute's not a guarantee. Hope it works!

suzorse":3plft34f said:
at that stage you need to use Lute with Dex to abort , hope it works out
Suzanne
That's the best method at that point of the pregnancy

Thanks, going to take her for a follow up with my regular vet in 30 days. This vet today told me 2 weeks.

You need to inject 5 ml of lutalyse and 20 mg of dexamethasone (10 ml of dex 2 or 4 ml of dex 5). If the dose are not respected, obviously what is written below does not apply.

Usually, you will get results within 48 to 72 hrs. That being said, it does not mean you will see the embryo in that time frame.
The lutalyse and dexamethasone "kill" the tissue that produces progesterone (the hormone responsible for maintaining pregnancy), this typically takes about 2 to 3 days. Once the progesterone is gone, the cow no longer receives the signal to keep maintaining the pregnancy, so the fetal tissues start to degrade. Expulsion time varies more depending on the animal and environmental conditions.

If the cow was 3-4 months along, at expulsion you should see a fully form embryo the size of a rat/small cat.

After looking at the reciept she gave her lute and dex. If she reads these boards dont be offended but I was so irritated that it took 45 minutes to give her 4 shots. She let a new tech try to work on this heifer that had no experience working with cattle. When dealing with my animals I want fully trained proffesionals. I wont go back to that vet office.

It was a poor business decision to let an inexperienced person work with my cattle alone. I had to get in to take over while the vet wasnt there and coach the new tech.

If they were that incompetent to begin with, how certain are you that she's actually bred, and doesn't just have a large uterus? I'd be taking that preg check with a grain of salt!

Latest posts