What to feed weanling?

Help Support CattleToday:

bubchub

Reaction score
I have a 7 month old weanling QH that I am about to wean and I am wondering what I should feed him to get him growing and get big.
Thanks, Robert

I feed Allegra baby to about a year then go to conditioning or something like that with grass hay, not alfalfa. The biggest thing is to let the baby be a baby and turn into a horse don't expect too much for a couple of years. But do all the ground work you can and teach manners in that two or three year period. Also never try to force growth, you'll end up with a messed up horse with bad legs, let him be what he is going to be.

Good luck,
Alan

Also you can help natural growth by keeping to a good worming schedule and keeping good weight on with grass, but not too fat. He should have been wormed twice by now and a third at 9 months then a year, then twice a year. Rotate wormers.

Alan

I usually feed what mama has been eating which is Omolene 300 and horse quality coastal hay. I have however, used the Equine Junior on a few, but had a really big boned colt develop OCD while on the Equine Junior. He was also getting a flake of alfalfa and one of coastal a day too. Apparently the Equine Junior is a "complete feed" which means you don't need to feed any hay....I kinda like feeding them hay though. Gives them something to do all day. Really, any 12%-14% feed will do him just fine with a flake of coastal hay with each feeding. Of course, if you're having as hard a time finding hay up there as we are down here, you might as well go for the alfalfa.........costs just as much right now, and is easier to get. Its pretty high in protein, so he may get a little hot while on it, but if you can give him one flake a day and a flake of coastal a day, he should do just fine. Watch his condition, and be ready to back off feed if necessary.

Thanks Alan and TR. I do have some hay, coastal and Fescue we got from Arkansas and I also have bahia and coastal from our place. I'll have to go get some alfalfa and I already feed his mother 14% grain-based sweet feed. It has I think it has 7% fat. I need to worm him and I should be on my way.

A couple of things to keep in mind.....they are growing muscle tissue very rapidly and also developing bones and joints quickly, so the diet needs to provide the proper nutrition to support this. At least 14% and maybe 16% crude protein, but more importantly look for one with .75% lysine at minimum, with added methionine of at least .35%. These amino acids are often most in demand by this class/age of horse. Also, to help develop bones and joints and avoid DOD, look for calcium of at about .8% and phosphorus of about .35%. A good vitamin D (about 500 or so IU/lb) will help with calcium absorption. Copper is also important 50-60 ppm. Added biotin of 40-45 mg/lb. There are several good feeds that address these needs....find one that is made specifically for the foal-yearling phase.

Alfalfa can be a pretty high octane feed, some horse handle it fine some get a bit nutty. IMO your colt well do fine on good quaity grass and a grain geared to babies, switch the grain to your 14% at 14 or 15 months. It's too easy to screw a baby up during the first 2 years by making the feeding too complex. If I'm going to ask one of my youngster to perform I'll give them a grass alfalfa mix and kick up their grain a little. But if they're just standing a growing they get free choice quality hay and good grain (you know in a fancy bag ;-) :D ).

Again you can really ruin a horse by trying to force growth. Keep them wormed, give them a mineral block and quaility feed and let mother nature do the rest.

Alan

Latest posts