What to feed a Charolais/Maine show steer.

Help Support CattleToday:

owhite428

Reaction score
I just bought a Charolias/ Maine show calf who was born in September. But I am not sure what type of feed to feed him and how much. I live in Florida and he is on a pasture. I was hoping someone could help me out here. He weighs somewhere between 400 and 500 pounds. I am not sure exactly but I will know soon. Thanks.

All the major feed companies as well as some locals make a good grower ration for show calves. Check into it. Should be somewhere around 11-12% crude protein, 3.5% fat and 12-15% fiber with corn, oats, cottonseed hulls and a protein pellet. Some also contain a considerable amount of molasses but it's not absolutely necessary. Check with friends/relatives with experience in feeding steers.

Right now I am feeding Showmaster Grower. But I was hoping someone could tell me the best thing to feed. And also how much a day to feed because I am not sure that I am feeding enough.

owhite428":3jg3lkb2 said:
I just bought a Charolias/ Maine show calf who was born in September. But I am not sure what type of feed to feed him and how much. I live in Florida and he is on a pasture. I was hoping someone could help me out here. He weighs somewhere between 400 and 500 pounds. I am not sure exactly but I will know soon. Thanks.
Please show us a picture of your calf! Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher":1xm5frez said:
owhite428":1xm5frez said:
Please show us a picture of your calf! Thanks in advance.

v3kb5s.jpg

better get him something good, hes pretty behind for a 7 mo steer out of large breed cattle.

piedmontese":1bw2btzf said:
better get him something good, hes pretty behind for a 7 mo steer out of large breed cattle.

Anything you suggest? Our fair and sale isnt until January.

owhite428":1p568rct said:
Right now I am feeding Showmaster Grower. But I was hoping someone could tell me the best thing to feed. And also how much a day to feed because I am not sure that I am feeding enough.
Showmaster has been around for years and is a good feed. Follow feeding instructions on the tag and you should be fine. It should also tell you when to switch from the grower to the finisher. Make sure he/she also gets plenty of hay.

Once you have an animal on full feed, they should be eating 2.5 to 3 percent of their body weight. You will want to change to a finisher in mid September

Latest posts