What To Do?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
This has to do with the cow that had the twisted uterus.

Every time we go down there her calf comes running up looking for the bottle. She does nurse the cow, but the bag never looks like it has milk in it.
calf will go from teat to teat trying for milk and butting the cow.

I've been giving the calf 2-3 bottles a day.

We are going to give the cow another series of Dura Pen tonight. She has a bulge on the side of the insision and we are concerned still about infection. she is now eating really well.
when we give the shots tonight I'm going to see if there is any milk coming out of the teats.

Hubby doesn't want a bottle calf, but I'm thinking if I can get the calf to nurse on my milk cow we might be able to get away with it.

Grafting the calf to the milk cow is not a bad plan. I wish I had one. The cow should take her with some effort. Sorry to hear about the calf's momma thugh. Good luck.

Just a tiny bit of a milk in the back teats and none in the front. :(
Cut the calf off her tonight and we will see how her bag is in the morning.

So glad for my milk cow. Got over a gallon of raw milk in the fridge for the calf.

2-3 bottles a day.....you're already got a bottle calf. Hopefully he can learn to nurse the milk cow and get his fill.

Put him on the milk cow. Let him do the work for you of milking her. Well part of the way anyhow. It may take some effort to get her to accept him. Put her in your head catch and let the calf go to her. Rub some of her milk on the calf found that to help. Our graft to a heifer that lost her calf worked good even after a hard delivery. Good luck.

hillbilly that crazy milk cow of mine is willing to accept the calf; it's the calf that won't try to latch on to suck.
Going to stick the bottle nipple under the milk cow and see if I can get her on that way.

Cow is pretty much dried up. Almost no milk and the bag was soft.

Got the calf to nurse my Jersey though. She looked like a tootsie roll with a head and tail when she was done. Boy was that calf hungry.
my Jersey stood for her. I had her in the head catch with her morning feed in front of her.

I still got over a gallon of milk out of her after the calf nursed.
the cow is going to be kicked out with the pairs and after the withdrawl date we are going to haul her and another cow to the sale barn.

I luv herfrds":2nm9xx7p said:
We are going to give the cow another series of Dura Pen tonight. She has a bulge on the side of the insision and we are concerned still about infection. she is now eating really well.
You can pop out a couple of the bottom sutures in her skin. That will allow the area to drain. That "bulge" you see is fibrin that has no place to go. As far as treating her again, I think you are wasting your time (and $) giving her any penicillin product. Trivetrin/Borgal are good drugs for that type of infection or you could give Excede to her as a long-acting drug.
If she's eating well you are likely out of the woods. Good news!

jillaroo so glad we gave her more Dura Pen. Saw her today and we thought we had pulled all the afterbirth out, nope she had some more coming out. Looks like the last of it.

Milk cow was being a bit of a rip not letting the calf nurse unless she was in the catch pen with a pan of feed.
So I used her appetite against her. :lol2:
poured a bit of water over the calf's back and then poured some ground barley over the calf and left them in the pen. Took her a few minutes, but she was licking the barley off the calf both in the pen and again out of the pen.
Hope this continues.
Got a small pasture next to the house we are going to put them out there in a few weeks. just perfect for them.

Latest posts