What to do with twins?

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
I went out to the pasture and found that I had twins. I hadn't seen this calf before and they are now around 4 weeks old! Do I get them off the mother faster or what do I do? The mother is in good shape and both calves look great. Thanks for any advice.

Most people here will tell you they hate twins, but if the momma is taking care of them and they are both keeping up, there isn't a problem.

Wean when you need to. If she holds condition or only drops to a BC score of say, a 4, keep 'em.

Also, do a search for "twins" on the discussion boards. You will find lots of discussion on the topic.

Oh yeah - congrats!

ill have to throw my hat in the, i hate twins ring. alot of draw back's first out the box does she take both of em. freemartins, keepi'n all three in condition.. does she give enough milk for both . especialy moma to breed back on time. heres a big one if she is long breeding back that will cost you what the extra calf is worth. that extra mouth can be more burden that profit in the long run

Pharmer, why did it take you four weeks to find them? I would say you are lucky that you have a cow raising two calves that you didn't know about. If she didn't have enough milk by this time you would probably only have one left or two weak ones.

Rustler9":1x9k9gvm said:
Pharmer, why did it take you four weeks to find them? I would say you are lucky that you have a cow raising two calves that you didn't know about. If she didn't have enough milk by this time you would probably only have one left or two weak ones.
this time wont be the problem with the new borns. she can produce enough for both for a little while. it's later when they start demanding more and really putt'in a strain on her

If shes a good cow, on good grass she shouldn't have a problem...The tough part is done- lot of times they won't accept both of them and walk away from one, and the work comes trying to get her to take the other or trying to graft it on another cow...

Twin situations like this one I don't mind...

Happy for you, most of the time the cow will only take one of them. It will be a load on her in just a little while, and as mentioned u will more than likely have a freemartin, no problem if they are just going to the sale barn, but your cow will more than likely need a little extra groceries. Good luck, you don't have to bottle feed either one, you should celebrate this, it's usually not a {just let them go deal.}

tryinhard

i'ver never had trouble with twins..i've got one cow that has had twins three years in a row...i can understand how you did not see one calf for several day...cows with twins will often hide one and only go to it a time or two a day...you will think she has abandoned it, but she hasn't...

Pharmer":14bdk52v said:
I went out to the pasture and found that I had twins. I hadn't seen this calf before and they are now around 4 weeks old! Do I get them off the mother faster or what do I do? The mother is in good shape and both calves look great. Thanks for any advice.

Based on the information given, I would do more than check on them once in a while to make sure mother and twins continue to do fine.

Seems I have twins every year and they are a mixed blessing. I really depends on the momma. As for doing anything special, I don't. I just watch the momma and if she is getting pulled down too much - wean both early.

That was my point-if you have a set of twins four weeks old and just found out about them you might want to start visiting your pasture more often. There's alot of things that can happen good or bad in a very short time in a herd and it just makes sense to keep an eye on them.

Well arn't y'all the lucky ones...

We never have had twins and now I'm feeling all left out. Went back to a bull this year...maybe he can do things hat a single straw can't.

Congrats...claves that old are well on theri way.

Dmc

Rustler9":35q02a8n said:
That was my point-if you have a set of twins four weeks old and just found out about them you might want to start visiting your pasture more often. There's alot of things that can happen good or bad in a very short time in a herd and it just makes sense to keep an eye on them.

While I agree with you Rustler, I doubt you will convince anyone that is not already doing this of the benefits. :lol:

We had three sets this year. We pulled one calf from each set after the first suck and supplemented it.
We just did the math on the viablity of the cow raising two.
In the math we added in factors such as:
Calves stealing...alot more smaller calves thanks to this stunt
Cow run down...extra feed to keep condidtion
Other cows run down thanks to a stealer
Breed back...on time...late...open next year because of the stress.
We decided on pulling a calf and bottle feeding. Of course that decision was made when we had the first twin. Not three sets later. Milk replacer and that special grain is killing us. but worth the effort. And hopefully all the calves will be in good shape and the mothers will breed back on time. Otherwise next year its fair game on the pasture.
Just a note...one calf grafted to a mother that lost her calf and we added a bottle baby thanks to a hiefer that seems to not have enough milk. But that is another thread...someday.

Latest posts