What ta do... what ta do....

Help Support CattleToday:

The Bachelor

Reaction score
I need some help with a decision on what to do on this 20 acre piece of property I recently bought. My soil test shows I have low nitrogen( 10ppm) and phosperhous (5ppm) I have a medium to low K (70 ppm). My PH though is 5.2.

I've got 3 heifers and two steers on it now, and was planning to add 4 more heifers this year. Now I know I need N, but my soil is really acidic. They won't be able to spread lime until May.

So here is my questions. Would you add the fertilizer anyway, or would you try to get through until this fall when I can lime it and disc it in? I guess I'm asking "How would you manage this pasture?"

Thanks,
Brad

I would lime the snot out of it as soon as I can and not disk it. Come late fall/early winter do another soil test and see how much N,P,K is required after the ph has gotten high enough that the nutrients aren't tied up.

dun":28rq1n6s said:
I would lime the snot out of it as soon as I can and not disk it. Come late fall/early winter do another soil test and see how much N,P,K is required after the ph has gotten high enough that the nutrients aren't tied up.

Thanks Dun, Sounds like a good plan. The feedstores got everyoe tied up in fertilizing right now, but come May, I'll get some on there.

Thanks for the help,
Brad

The Bachelor":3m7falyj said:
dun":3m7falyj said:

Thanks Dun, Sounds like a good plan. The feedstores got everyoe tied up in fertilizing right now, but come May, I'll get some on there.

Thanks for the help,
Brad
did your soil test tell you how meny tons of lime pre acre.im thinking with a 5.2 you need a min of 3 tons lime to ac.fertalizing it wont hurt anything thats for sure.

bigbull338":2yyafid5 said:
did your soil test tell you how meny tons of lime pre acre.im thinking with a 5.2 you need a min of 3 tons lime to ac.fertalizing it wont hurt anything thats for sure.

Well, thats what I'm worried about. I was figuring 2 tons an acre, but if the soil needs that much lime, doesn't it tie up the fertilizer? I'd sure hate to spend $$$ on NPK and not have it working for me.

I know the N would help jumpstart things, but would it be worth it in the long run? Thanks

The Bachelor":1kis73o9 said:
bigbull338":1kis73o9 said:

Well, thats what I'm worried about. I was figuring 2 tons an acre, but if the soil needs that much lime, doesn't it tie up the fertilizer? I'd sure hate to spend $$$ on NPK and not have it working for me.

I know the N would help jumpstart things, but would it be worth it in the long run? Thanks

Low ph does tie up the soil nutrients. If you're going to spend money on anything to improve your soil, the first step is the ph. That's why I suggested putting down the lime first, then doing another soil test before putting down the fertilizer. Keep in mind that chemical fertilizers will generally lower the ph.

KenB":6nre3so0 said:
What is the difference between pelletized vs ground lime stone?

One is pellets the other is (generally) coarse powder. We've used both and the only real difference I saw was the price.

dun

Prowl around your area and see if you can find one of the gandy type lime spreaders. Have some one deliver the lime and dump it and spread it yourself.

Basic Slag will bring your soil PH up faster than lime. If you could disk it in would work Right Now.

Latest posts