what should i plant

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
i have a 50 acre pasture in kansas that i want to overseed.first what should i plant and when? i do not want to have to cultivate the ground beyond using a drag or harrow.the grass in it now is pretty good and i have cattle on it.when should i fertilize or spray for weeds.we did burn it this past spring but there are more weeds than i like.

Well, since you seem to be pretty satisfied with your existing grass I would suggest overseeding with some type of clover, or a complimentary type of grass. I know nothing about your particular conditions or climate, so I would further suggest talking to your county extension office or possibly the agronomy department of a major university in your state. As far as fertilizing goes, I believe it is usually done in the spring. You would need to take soil samples and have them analyzed to know what your soil is lacking. As to spraying weeds, I would suggest you check into using a pre-emergent that targets your particular problem area. The advantage of a pre-emergent over the usual repeated spraying method is that a pre-emergent prevents the weeds from ever coming up, thus giving the desirable grasses/clover/alfalfa/etc a fighting chance of thickening to the point that they choke the weeds out. I hope this helps. :)

Latest posts