What should I do?

Help Support CattleToday:

jj216

Reaction score
O.k this is alot like Mr. Elliotts question but I wanted some opinions because I cant make up my mind .I have five new acres I just cleared.I put out winter rye strictly for erosion control because its kind of hilly I have not grazed it.I want to put in my permanent grass this spring but money is tight because I am building a house.I live in central Ga. on the Bama line.I will probably just put a few horses and maybye some ropin steers on this pasture (corrientes).I wont cut hay or put any beef cattle on it.Heres what I been racking my brain with. Fescue-Its too hot here 90s to 100s june-sept. Cheyenne bermuda-very expensive to seed Sprigs-Cant afford it Common bermuda - never thought of it as a good pasture grass Tift 9 bahia-also pretty expensive to seed.I guess Im leaning towards one of the more common Bahias like regular Pensacola or Argetine.Iknow just like evrything else You get what you pay for or put in it.I just wanted some opinions.Thanks

theres nothing wrong with pensacola bahia or common bermuda. for horses i would lean toward a bermuda. spriggin will be worth it in my opinion b/c it will come on faster. but i caution you, 5 acres wont support many horses.

jj

How about letting mother nature seed it. When the rye dies in the heat, another grass will grow when it rains. Whatever comes up will be adapted to your soil & climate. Might need to spray for weeds to give whatever grass comes up a fighting chance. If you don't get the production you need, seed something next year.

JMO

Regards

Brock

Thanks for the input.I have other pastures to put them out on that are coastal.This new area used to be woods so im not sure what would come up voluntarily.I would mostly use it for convience ,its close to the house site and barn.Im probably gonna go with the p-cola or common.thanks

I know I spelled convenience wrong.Dont want the english teacher getting after me.

Since you have other places to keep them I would be willing to throw out some ryegrass for temporary and try to save up and have it sprigged. Like you said you get what you pay for and since your not in a hurry try and get something good.

just a thought

Latest posts