what should be done

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
This is a wild one. My cousin who lives in alabama has got about 50 head of cows. he is an investment banker who has done very well for himself. He bought some land and cows for a tax right off. He hired a hand to take care of the cattle full time. From what he tells me this guy has done a great job. Well to get into the story, the hired hand was given operating expenses for vaccanations and meds for when cattle get sick. he has bought all the vaccs every year and provided the invoices for the farm expenses. Needless to say the hired hand has been selling the unused meds to neighbors. apparently he made one of them mad and he told my cousin what he had been doing for 2 1/2 years. my question is these cattle have never been wormed, vaccanated, or doctored. My cousin reports that they all breed back in time, raise a great calf that he takes to teh sale barn once a year. He says he can't tell that they haven;t been vaccinated. My question is if he doesn't introduce any outside cattle once he bought his initial herd, what has been hurt by missing the shots. He is now looking into suing the ranch hand but he doesn't have anything to get or he doesn;t know what proof he can use that any damage has been done to the cattle.

I would doubt that he would actually get much in money from the ranch hand. I think it becomes a trust issue. The guy was stealing. So, he has two options. Fire the guy and look for someone else, or decide that it wasnt that much harm and keep the guy anyway, knowing that he isnt to be trusted and will steal. Choose one of the two, the way I see it.

He should chalk this up to bad luck and move on. get a vet out to check his cattle . the only cattle i would worry about introducing to the herd is salebarn cattle but i wouldnt want them around healthy cows till i was sure there ok. if he buys from a individual that has a good vacination program he should have no problems.

Latest posts