What percentage of your diet do you grow yourself?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
I was sitting here thinking, I wonder what percentage of our diet as a family comes from food we grow or make. In our case, it's probably 15-20% soon to be closer to 30-40%. Beef pork eggs and now veggies. Not so many years ago everyone was 100% including bartering for stuff they didn't grow.
What do some of you think your percentage is?

On a year round basis we're probably around 75%, about the only things we buy are whole grain brown rice and pasta, and some specialty meats or cheeses.
We''ve got spuds, carrots, and all that stuff and it lasts all year in the root cellar

Hook":3vxwe1sw said:
I was sitting here thinking, I wonder what percentage of our diet as a family comes from food we grow or make. In our case, it's probably 15-20% soon to be closer to 30-40%. Beef pork eggs and now veggies. Not so many years ago everyone was 100% including bartering for stuff they didn't grow.
Zero....sad but true.

TexasBred":61jj0ghh said:
Hook":61jj0ghh said:
Zero....sad but true.

I "grow" the money that buys the food. Does that count?

TennesseeTuxedo":xgifhbss said:
TexasBred":xgifhbss said:
Hook":xgifhbss said:
Zero....sad but true.

I "grow" the money that buys the food. Does that count?

Better put that big back yard to use instead of having it look like a botanical garden .. You are supposed to be a farmer :lol2: ;-)

I think about 40% to 50%. We buy very little meat of any kind and have a garden. We have a pig in the freezer, 50 cornish rock cross broilers growing and 10 broad breasted white turkeys that will be ready in a month. I have chickens for eggs too.
I trade my jams and jellies for vegetables that we don't grow and bread from a baker at the farmers market.

This year I'd guess 40-50%. I'm pretty bummed about that. The drought and screwey weather that came with it really threw a lot of the stuff in the garden off and I haven't been as focused on it as I'd like to be.
We've had a few years where we were up in the 85-90%. We raise almost all of our own meat and garden year round and freeze a bunch of it. We keep a milk goat and had a jersey for a while and freeze enough for one gallon a week and in the past we've(meaning she) made our own cheese and butter.

I am probably 30%. I use to be in the 80% range. But the ex-wife ran off and the kids grew up. I stopped preserving stuff from the garden. So now it is 100% of the meat and eggs along with fresh veggies just in season.

I grow 0% of my diet. My family always had a garden when I was growing up, but it never fascinated me.

I calculate this percentage in dollars, not volume. It varies year to year. At least 50%, as much as 90%. The efficiency is more easily attainable with more bodies to feed. We are down to 5 at home now, from 8 a few years ago.

Zero. I don't have time to grow a garden and I'm not wasting a good calf. I can buy the cuts I want, don't really care to eat a lot of what's on one. I don't like hamburger.
Do hope to get a few acres back in vegetables to sell next year though and get the chickens back.

jedstivers":2515lmqo said:
Zero. I don't have time to grow a garden and I'm not wasting a good calf. I can buy the cuts I want, don't really care to eat a lot of what's on one. I don't like hamburger.
Do hope to get a few acres back in vegetables to sell next year though and get the chickens back.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jed you must not have time to hunt and fish? We stink at growing a garden, but we buy hardly any meat and no fish or shrimp. We keep a fresh supply of venison and turkey in the back yard.

jedstivers said:
Do hope to get a few acres back in vegetables to sell next year though and get the chickens back.[/quote]

Take your meds. You're spinning off the edge. :nod: