What is this weed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
Here's another "what is this weed?" question. We're in the middle of winter here in central Texas, and have had a few freezes, so everything's pretty much dead and/or dormant. One thing that isn't is this flat-growing little weed. It doesn't seem to grow any bigger, but it is ALL OVER my pastures. What is it? Should I be concerned about it? Next spring I'll be spraying the pasture with roundup and preparing it for grass seeding. I assume this stuff will still be there. Since it's bright green and healthy-looking even after freezing, I assume it's some kind of cold-weather weed...? A plain #2 pencil is there for scale.
littleweed.jpg

Im not sure what kind of weed it is but I have it all over my pasture here too. I think its because the grass was just so short after this last summer and the drought, it allowed them to come up. I don't know, but I will probably have to spray early this spring.

It looks like mouse-eared chickweed, but I'm not sure. If that's what it is, it won't get any taller, just thicker. In the spring you'll see a carpet of tiny white flowers. It's a winter annual that can act like a spring annual. Pretty tough weed, prolific seeder.

Well it's definately not henbit and regular chickweed has smaller leaves oval or heart shaped. It might be mouse-eared. I had some here in Southwest TN.

A little weed b gone or 2,4-D will turn the leaves yellow and get rid of it.