What is it?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
It;s not partridge pea. Only the second one I've seen on this farm.
IMG.jpg

Dun im not expert at all and im prolly wrong but it kinda looks like what i call a kopel tree. Looks like a young one but i could be wrong, the leaves kinda look like what you find on milkweed.

No thorns.
When I saw the other one, many years ago I posted a picture and someone knew exactly what it was

It is an ornamental, they are planted all over LSU and along the driveways of the older Mississippi River plantation houses. Of course I cannot remember the name for anything. The yellow flowers are nice in a flower bed, probably not so nice in your pasture.

Turns out it's "wild senna" unusual around here but not unheard of.

The other time it was back in the spillway of a pond and it went away. This one is in a runoff area in a couple acre wildlife area.

Fire Sweep Ranch":j99mozca said:
We get them from time to time. I kill it with my special mix I do (crossbow and Remedy).
Can I Ask WHY you are mixing CROSSBOW and REMEDY ?

Crossbow is a mixture of 2-4D and Remedy ( triclopyr) so why are you spending money on Crossbow and the adding Remedy to it

If you want a stouter mixture by 2-4D and the add Remedy to the strength you want

BUT you can throw money away if you want and keep purchasing CROSSBOW

dun":vikfqx66 said:
It;s not partridge pea. Only the second one I've seen on this farm.
We call it senna bean here. If your's is the same thing we have, your 2nd one won't be your last if you ever let it mature long enough to produce the beans or pods. They'll make 30-50 beans each, growing real tall and when the bean pods get mature, they burst open suddenly and scatter seeds all over. They're perennials too--I've seen some that had a trunk or stem 2-3" in diameter, 15' tall, and just as woody as any tree. They drop the leaves and go dormant in the fll and winter, but will come right back next spring even if you mow em.
In the stage you have, 2,4d or remedy either one will kill it. Leaf and basal spray it while the stem is still soft and green.
Or:
That's right if you only have a few. Pull it, throw it in your truck bed and and burn it with your trash. If you pull it, throw it down on wet ground, it will take root again and be growing sideways on the ground. I hate the dang things.

There are many varieties of Senna, but you won't kill any of them with 24d after they start flowering. Save your money Fire Sweep and use straight Remedy. 24d only works during the growth phase and only if the plant still has the apical meristem. If it has been mowed or is going to flower it is a waste using 24d.

JWBrahman":2xzwl4n1 said:
There are many varieties of Senna, but you won't kill any of them with 24d after they start flowering. Save your money Fire Sweep and use straight Remedy. 24d only works during the growth phase and only if the plant still has the apical meristem. If it has been mowed or is going to flower it is a waste using 24d.

It is a recipe given to me a few years ago that works great. We get tons of buck rush, which is hard to knock out, along with multi flora rose, poke, Buck brush, rag weed.... By using this mix, I have knocked it all back. Will using just remedy cover the variety of weeds I am knocking down?