What is a good adaptive breed

Help Support CattleToday:

uzbekistan

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am from uzbekistan and we own a farm
I am trying to purchase cattle from a different country and i would like your advise so as to what breed of cows shoud i purchase which would best fit a continental climate (winter relatively cold snow - summer very dry hot ) and would not require very special kind of care and would also be more resistent to diesease
also if you know of any countries which are close to uzbekistan who have these breeds i would be glad to hear

I would say CORRIENTE! PM 3waycross, he has some excellent seedstock I heard. Real nice rat tails.

There is Herefords in kazakhstan. They like em there. Cold winter is 5 month below -25C and hot summer is +26C for two weeks :-D

Scroote":2ytsfksd said:
I would say CORRIENTE! PM 3waycross, he has some excellent seedstock I heard. Real nice rat tails.

He can't afford my Corriente seedstock. NOw the rat tails is a different story they go a lot cheaper,

P.A.L":2zk4yh29 said:
There is Herefords in kazakhstan. They like em there. Cold winter is 5 month below -25C and hot summer is +26C for two weeks :-D
If these temperature ranges are right, welsh black will do the job.

Herefords are a good choice. Many Hereford heifers from Canada were shipped this past year to Kazakhstan, with one of my girls included. :cowboy:

I second Aaron's suggestion of some northern-adapted Herefords. Thick skin slick in the summer heat, look like polar bears in the winter. Herefords do well grubbing for a wide range of vegetation. Generally out scavenging, not huddled next to a windbreak waiting for you to come feed them...

Jim

I'd have to agree with Old Man Emu on the Welsh Blacks being used to changing climate due to their origin.
Australia is currently shipping live cattle to Russia and Kazachstan. Although we don't have the same severe winters as you are talking our cattle are bred for our long, harsh, dry summer/autumns which makes them pretty durable cattle. I would also suggest looking to Canada for cattle as they too suffer harsh conditions (winter rather than Australian Summer) You also want cattle that have been commercially raised/fed and not pumped up, heavy feed cattle.
From what you are saying there maybe an advantage in composite cattle, be that Angus X Lim or Brangus or Angus X Simmental. Not sure it would be worth the cost of shipping though.
If you already have some cows maybe you can import embryos and implant them in the cow herd you already have???

P.A.L":1mp1hzvl said:

That sounds like a climate made for Galloways.

Latest posts