What If You Only Ate Green Beans?

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
I just steamed some green beans with a little Shed Spread and salt and pepper. Very, very, very good. I think I could live for a few weeks on that alone. What would be the consequences?

They are good, aren't they. I like a little bacon in there. And I like steamed better than "limp noodle" like my dad likes 'em.
Let us know how the diet experiment shapes up. I haven't a clue what that will do.

I can't see where it would hurt you. Probably lose some weight. But for me, this diet would only work for a few days unless I could throw some salt pork or jowels in it cause I think I'd get pretty tired of beans by themselves. Oh, and don't forget the new potatoes and carrots.

john250":3uvorsbu said:
They are good, aren't they. I like a little bacon in there. And I like steamed better than "limp noodle" like my dad likes 'em.
Right, John. They have to have some crunch left in them.

Hey now :!: This is a cattle board. :p We raise BEEF to eat. :banana: Now what would happen if everyone at only green beans and pork with new potatoes and carrots? :shock:

Now that will be allright as long as you have a steak for dessert. :lol:

Jogeephus":33h9ilfu said:
I can't see where it would hurt you. Probably lose some weight. But for me, this diet would only work for a few days unless I could throw some salt pork or jowels in it cause I think I'd get pretty tired of beans by themselves. Oh, and don't forget the new potatoes and carrots.
Jo, The potatoes and carrots I'm down with. But for a lean diet the Shed spread makes for a tasty alternative to pork products. And I love cured pork as much or more than anybody walking around.

1982vett":1ql2tyq6 said:
Hey now :!: This is a cattle board. :p We raise BEEF to eat. :banana: Now what would happen if everyone at only green beans and pork with new potatoes and carrots? :shock:

Now that will be allright as long as you have a steak for dessert. :lol:
:lol2: I eat beef once or twice a week. Sometimes more. Doubt that will change.

When I first started out I didn't have much. Heated the house with wood cause I couldn't afford the gas. I turned a garden with a shovel and ate mostly veggies that I grew for several months so I could save money. I was fit as a fiddle and can't really see where it hurt me in any way. I would put some salt pork in some things but I mostly made stir fry type meals.

When Steven was a baby and still on Gerber's, he would only eat the yellow veggies. Squash, carrots, sweet taters and that sort of thing. He didn't care for the green ones and not a lot for the meats, and I don't blame him for that. Just the smell alone...

Anyway, he actually started to get a yellow tint to his skin. He looked jaundiced. People used to ask me if he had liver problems. Nah, just the yellow veggies.

Times have changed. He very seldom eats veggies now. Except if you call taters a veggie.

He calle me last night and asked me how to scramble an egg. I know I taught him better than that. Funny, the things you choose to remember. He's been eating a lot of baked beans. Yet another reason I am kinda glad he isn't residing at home.

Lammie":2jki6p57 said:
He's been eating a lot of baked beans. Yet another reason I am kinda glad he isn't residing at home.

O Lord, can I relate! That is plain HILARIOUS! :lol:

Michele

i know i couldnt eat green beans for a month.i gotta have my beef almost everyday.lammie all the beans have been degassed NOT.

ga. prime":zjm742sp said:
I just steamed some green beans with a little Shed Spread and salt and pepper. Very, very, very good. I think I could live for a few weeks on that alone. What would be the consequences?

Probably just like your cows look after a couple of days in that new clover field.

bigbull338":1is44cfp said:
i know i couldnt eat green beans for a month.i gotta have my beef almost everyday.lammie all the beans have been degassed NOT.

Holy carp! BB figuired out there is a way to type a capital letter!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

3waycross":1glw5ike said:
ga. prime":1glw5ike said:

Probably just like your cows look after a couple of days in that new clover field.

That would be my best guess. Better grill up a steak or burger with those beans.

3waycross":rr0f7mfz said:
ga. prime":rr0f7mfz said:

Good guess. :lol2:

Back when I was a youngster our family went through some hard times. Father lost his job and there were 5 kids to feed. Anyhow my Dad does not believe in debt and would not buy anything on credit or use food stamps so we lived on his savings until a new job was found. This was back in the early 70's and jobs were scarce. We literaly went all winter eating green beans that my Mother canned in the summer. I remember rows and rows of canned green beans lining the walls of the cellar. We ate green beans every day from about October to April. It didn't hurt me none. Being as they were Kentucky Wonders helped allot. Those are some good beans. We did have hogs and chickens so we had meat. We salt and sugar cured some pork and hung it all winter out in the smoke house! I remember going out there and carving off some good ol ham for breakfast. I have allot more than my father had at the same point in life but I wish sometimes to be able to go back to those simpler times. Time passes by too fast now.

I'd say if you only ate beans and nothing else, you would be deficient in a lot of protein and minerals that are needed to keep the body healthy, you'd have some of the vitamins needed, and you'd loose a heck of a lot of weight mainly muscle, and feel tired after a day or two. I agree they are nice and put into a well balanced diet everyday that is even better.

Latest posts