What exactly is a " Tiger Stripe" Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

My understanding it's the result you get from "baldy" decendents that are sired by solid colored bulls, results in an animal that doesnt have the clean outlinded white face. Its more so a blotchy/striped face.

Think brindle. It;s a recesive color in braunvieh but on here it's a Brahman Hereford cross.

55396793_cd27a28e6b.jpg

All I know is my daughter bought a tiger strip rug from Quarter Horse Congress and its cool! Big too.

cowboy43":3nk8w006 said:
Hereford cow X Brahma Bull = Tigerstrip calf

Brahma cow X Hereford Bull = Braford calf
It does not make 2 cents worth of difference which way you breed them. Braford F1 calves bred either way can be tigers or red baldies, solids, and all sorts of other blends.

novatech":37lcd7xp said:
cowboy43":37lcd7xp said:

It does not make 2 cents worth of difference which way you breed them. Braford F1 calves bred either way can be tigers or red baldies, solids, and all sorts of other blends.

Can true Brafords be brindle from time to time, too?

farmwriter":2lrh9smq said:
novatech":2lrh9smq said:
cowboy43":2lrh9smq said:

Can true Brafords be brindle from time to time, too?
Yep
Most gray Brahman cows and bulls are a mix of red and white. This is the primary reason you see a lot of Brahman with black on them, some more some less. They are bred this way to add pigment and produce more of the tigerstripe color. The true tiger stripe as pictured by townfarmer will usually bring a litle more money. No reason for it just does.

jedstivers":322t7jjb said:
The very best cow there is.

:D

Grandaddy had a herd of them in the 60's. We've always called everything brindled a brindle.

Never heard the term tiger stripe until I came to this forum - and I caught a lot of grief about it. Still catch grief every now and then. It seems some only refer to F-1s as tigers. Other folks call any brindle a tiger.

I had also never heard of "second calf heifer." Jake referred to some old cows in jest as "last calf heifers" and made me spit coffee everywhere.

You just never know what term is going to pop up next.

townfarmer":2oropsp2 said:
That kind of cow is what I call a good cow and they are calf raising cows ,most of them are, i personaly would trade a black hided cow for them true tiger stripes, Bra. Herford cross, its not the color that makes them good it is the Bra.cross had a man try and sell me some tiger colored cows back last spring that had the color but don't think they had any Bra. blood in them they were not what i like
cowboy43":2oropsp2 said:

SORRY THIS IS NOT SO
I visited a farm back in summer that has a F1 program he uses reg. Bra. cows and reg. Herford bulls, cows are white and grays, He said he gets around 55% tigers with the rest being Brafords either reds or fawns. If the cow is carrying more of the dark blue/gray in her the better the odds for a tiger. the color will have no effect on her calf raising ability BUT it will effect what kind of money the cow will bring

Latest posts