What do you think?

Help Support CattleToday:

hgfarmer

Reaction score
Never posted any pics on here so I thought I would give everyone a look at one of my cows. She is around 8 or 9. She hasent tasted anything other than grass in a long time, that will soon change. What do you think? Thanks

cows_007.jpg

Gate Opener":1bhwztp3 said:
I like her. Was she getting close to calving in the picture?

Thanks! No, this was taken yesterday and she is around 6 months bred.

she is a nice looking cow.an looks like an easy keeper.you can tell she can live on pasture.

I like her looks in the picture as well, a lot.

Main thing is, how have her calves done? Hard to see in the pic but the ole udder looks like a heifers. :lol:

Keep the pics coming.

hgfarmer":2ac989yg said:
Never posted any pics on here so I thought I would give everyone a look at one of my cows. She is around 8 or 9. She hasent tasted anything other than grass in a long time, that will soon change. What do you think? Thanks

cows_007.jpg

I sure like her. That would be the kind of cow to start out with, that's fer sure. 8)

Hg,

Thanks for the pic. Boy does she bring back memories
for me as the first 25 beef cattle I ever bought on my
own were just like her and I loved everyone them.

Now please don't take this the wrong way as I mean no sarcasm or criticism.

Have you noticed how short her legs are?
Now let me give you a little insight with my old retired buyer's hat on.

This blood line was very popular back in the 60s due to its low rider body style.
In buyers code they were referred to as a Z (s) and most often commanded a premium back then.
She is a perfect Z.

As you may or may not know, for the most part, buyers use lines and shapes to determine what they will pay for an animal. A triangle is used to determine pelvic opening size.
The Z line is used to determine if the cow is pregnant or not and how far a long she is.
It also is used to set her proximity to the ground.

The Z is created by visually drawing a line from the back leg, along the underside of the animal, touching only the lowest point of the belly, to the back of the front leg.
Then down the back side of the front leg until you reach the point where you have to make a 90degree turn to continue on to hit the lowest point of the brisket.
Now that is the short version of the Z line and what it means.

In some buyer circles today they are referred to as potbelly pigs, or simply potbelly or pigs and are not as desirable due to their short legs.

Now please don't take that the wrong way. I was just trying to pass on a little history and insight into some buyer's trade secrets.
I personally love those animals.
SL

Nice cow....we have her twin on our place, due Dec 30th.

I also like the low-rider cattle....I am reminded that we're selling red meat, not soup bones. Specifically selected a Lim bull this spring that is long low and wide...we'll see what he will throw later next month. Dmc

Thanks guys for the honesty. Im really proud of my cattle this year....with the drought and all. I literaly havent had to supplement them at all. We have got some good rains in the last week and are expecting more! This cow bags up real nicely and raises a good calve. SL, its posts like that, that I learn from every day. I didnt know any of that....really good to know! Im going to post a couple more pics on a new post in a min. Thanks everybody

Hg,
Glad I could be of help to you.
As I understand it, with that low clearance it was like trying to run a sports car in an off road rally. In the east they kept getting stuck in ponds and wet lands and out west they couldn't make those 5 - 10 mile hikes every day just to get a drink of water, much less climb over downed trees, rocks and up and down steep grades.
Well I had to warn you so if you were ever at a sale barn and overheard a buyer say there are some potbelly pigs back there, you know better then to go looking for real pigs.
But I loved them anyway.
Look forward to seeing more pics
SL