What do you think?

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
Ok.. let's hear it! Please critique my 11 month old Simmental heifer!

DSC00006.jpg
[/img]

I like her. Umm...if I'd say anything it might be that she's a little high topped, though it could be the ground she's standing on, though it looks like the ground is pretty level beneath her. Otherwise I like her length and with a nice comb through I think she's a pretty li'l heifer. :)

Looks like she will make a excellent cow, lots of volume. As far as a show heifer goes she's got some faults. Her front is not feminine enough and she's got too much leather. Her back legs have too much set for a show heifer. These things won't stop her from being a good cow.

ccc":1dxhleaj said:
she's got too much leather
You could use a sweat collar for that...Sullivan's has got an excellent one. You can find it at http://www.sullivansupply.com. As far as the set on her back legs go...I disagree. I mean I think her legs look nice. (not that I can't be wrong)

I agree about her face looking a little bullish. I think a sweat collar on that neck could get her neck looking a little more feminine, thus making her face slightly moreso. Overall, she's one I'd keep on my string. While Simmentals are supposed to have a little bit of skin on them, judges still like to see smooth necks.

If she is in a class by herself, at a Blow-and-Show competition, and I'm the Judge, here is how it goes.

Very nice, functional looking heifer. She shows great length, and has a strong, level topline. This is a high volume heifer, very smooth shoulders and has just a little set to her hock; just enough to insure that she will still be able to travel as a mature cow. She stands real solid, all the way around. I would like to see her with more extension to her neck, to give her a more feminine look. A Simmental heifer of this age is not supposed to be Goose necked, but a little tighter clipping on top, down her shoulders, and into her neck and brisket would probably help a lot. She should mature into a very functional cow.
8)

Set in the legs looks ok. Seems to be a little sickle hocked though. Also, I think the top line could be better.

I like her and think she would make a very nice cow! As a show heifer I think the biggest thing you can dock her for is her front end. She just needs to be a little longer fronted. As a cow she could do some real good for you if she was bred to a bull that would help clean and extend that front end. Nice heifer!

She looks like she running a little downhill but not bad it might be the ground. For a simmental shes pretty clean throught the neck. Verry deep heifer. looks like she carrys muscle far down her back leg. nice bone. Personaly i love her but i'm a simmental freak. She should do well.

She is fine for a cow but is not a major show quality heifer. More of a replacement county type. She is too heavy fronted to begin with. When you really study her she has too much front and too much chest. She could use a longer neck as well. She is also pinched in her heart which throws her off underneath. Her legs don't really bother me, what bothers me is that she looks to be really quick in her maturity pattern which makes me think she won't have enough frame size and will be little to small. She could use some extnsion everywhere and her tailhead could sit a little lower as most cattle have their's come up as they become heavier bred.

Latest posts