What causes this? (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
FKEHJ-cow375.jpg

Take a good look at this cow's head/muzzle. Not the first one I've seen like this, and this is one of the more mildly afflicted cows. And no, it's not an injury. She's always been like this.

:???:

as stated its herdity.either on the sire or dams side or both.its a very rare occurence.altho ive seen a few at the salebarn.i call them crooked noses.even seen a few crooked heads an necks as well.

Not sure of the cause but I have a holstein lead heifer with the same condition. Naturally we named her "Jaws". That's her with my grandson on her back in my avatar. Doesn't seem to bother her and she is getting big as a boxcar.

When we were buying baby calves at the auction and raising them to go to the feedlot, we had a couple of those. I'd catch myself turning my head to one side or the other to try to line up his jaw in my eyesight. My brother surmised that maybe they'd been kicked or roughed up somehow when they were born. I can't quite buy that, but who knows?

Didn't seem to bother them...they drank their bottles and ate their dry feed just like the others. But, it is odd looking...kind of like driving behind someone who has a tire out of round or something.

We also had our share of crooked necks. The man buying the calves didn't care...said they'd taste just as good as those with straight necks.

Alice

So the consensus is it's herditary? I'm sure it wasn't an injury -- she was born like that. Saw a Jersey cow that was much worse a few weeks ago; really didn't seem to bother her but you sure did a double-take when you saw it. I've just wondered if it was related to.. oh, something viral or one of those diseases that can cause birth defects or structural deformities. PI animal or something.

i bet some of the weeds that cause cleft palate and such could possibly be responsible?

Saw a horse like that long time ago..Ijit kept him for stud cause he had spots..2 foals I saw from him were the same..thought at first could just be position in the womb,but guess not..

MM...next time you are in a shopping mall have a look at all the different folks with facial and body differences.
Cows can't be all that different....sort of looks like yours is smirking at 'ya.
DMc

Take a good look at this cow's head/muzzle. Not the first one I've seen like this, and this is one of the more mildly afflicted cows. And no, it's not an injury. She's always been like this.

:???:[/quote]

Can't think of the name of the disorder, but a heifer in our 4-H show team had the same thing happen -- it's hereditary.

Any chance of atrophic rhinitis? In pigs they will get a short or deformed snout. I know cattle can get it but do not know if they can get a deformed muzzle from it. Maybe if they got it when really young calf.

dunno probably a long shot, just on my mind since we have a State Fair Show pig out in a pen at the moment that we can not take due to rhinitis.

highly unlikely that its hereditary. Its just a deformity. If you go in a chicken house you get to seeing alot of deformities that somehow are the same. Anotherwords more than 1 chicken with the same deformity.
Alot of differance between a chicken & cow I know, but your talking abought 30 thousand chickens .. I've never seen 30 thousand calves before all at 1 time.

Latest posts