What Causes oil to come out vent?

Help Support CattleToday:

Overfull? Overheating?

I would drain the oil and check for any metallic shavings. A failing bearing can create a lot of heat and push the oil out.

If all looks good refill with the proper amount of oil and keep an eye on it. If it happens again open it up and check it out.

The vent could have been stopped up and after it built up pressure from heat it blow out. Does it do it often? If the oil weight is to thin it could be splashing out.

jltrent said:
The vent could have been stopped up and after it built up pressure from heat it blow out. Does it do it often? If the oil weight is to thin it could be splashing out.

It's the gear box on my Vermeer roller. Never happen before. I thought I had a hydraulic hose leaking causing all the oil around the gear box but after I cleaned it all up and checked the oil in the gear box it was about a pint orbso low. I rolled around 70 rolls the day it happen trying to beat rain so I was moving on pretty fast.

Drain and refill with the proper type and amount of oil. Run it and see what happens. If you have an IR thermometer check the gearbox temp and see what its doing.

chevytaHOE5674 said:
Drain and refill with the proper type and amount of oil. Run it and see what happens. If you have an IR thermometer check the gearbox temp and see what its doing.

What temperature would be to hot ?

A general rule of thumb is ambient +100 degrees. With a high quality oil that has good high heat stability it could survive higher. But a simple baler gearbox shouldn't get that hot.

Similar problem....

https://www.haytalk.com/forums/topic/92378-vermeer-tm850-gear-box-issue/

The vent tube is about three inches or so long and has a hole just under threaded part of the vent. First thing to do is remove it and clean it. Also make sure the oil level is correct in the gear box.

You might drain the oil and replace. Capacity would be 1.5 L which translates to 1.21 quarts. Or 36 ounces. Oil should be 2.25 to 2.5 inches deep in the gearbox measure with a clean straight wire.

hurleyjd said:
The vent tube is about three inches or so long and has a hole just under threaded part of the vent. First thing to do is remove it and clean it. Also make sure the oil level is correct in the gear box.

Mine doesn't have a vent tube