What Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

bubchub

Reaction score
I have had a couple of cows for about 1-2 years to save up for college. I'm sick of having to look at the junky sale barn cows. I'm going to sale them and try to replace with something better. Dad has a Registered Black Angus and Red Brahman bull. What breed of heifers would you to breed to these bulls?

If you're saying that the cattle will all run together and your heifers might get bred to either bull, its a no brainer for me. Polled Hereford. But my first choice would be to get rid of the red bull. :D Then you would have more viable options. No commercial operator needs a Red Brahman bull, in my opinion.

Texan":20ygym4h said:
If you're saying that the cattle will all run together and your heifers might get bred to either bull, its a no brainer for me. Polled Hereford. But my first choice would be to get rid of the red bull. :D Then you would have more viable options. No commercial operator needs a Red Brahman bull, in my opinion.

We have the two bulls separated. The angus is with our heifers and the Red Brahman is with Hereford mama cows. You can sell those tiger heifers like hot cakes down here. I'm sorry I put just heifers. I meant heifers or second or third calf mamas. Both have low birthweights.

bubchub- Since you already have a registered black angus bull I would go with some registered black angus cows-- With the price of cows today, you can pick up some decent registered bred cows or heifers at not much more than regular commercial bred cows or heifers- always dispersions of older cows. Than you have many ways to go- breed to your bull or AI, keep heifers to upgrade your herd or sell as seedstock, may even find some bull customer - could even lead into a seedstock business down the line. Takes a little more work to gather and maintain records, but for a young person I think it also gives you a better understanding of cattle, genetics, and breeding.......Learn while you earn.....

bubchub":8e15icdw said:
......the Red Brahman is with Hereford mama cows. You can sell those tiger heifers like hot cakes down here.
If that's working so good, why not just stay with the Herefords when you buy something? By the way, how do those F-1, slick-haired, humpy steers sell? You get about one of them for every hot cake, don't you?

I think Oldtimer has got the best plan, so far.

You already have a black angus bull so I would stick with black angus, seems to be what everyones going to anyway. Most all of the steakhouses, restruants, and burger places claim to have angus beef nowdays. The salebarnes reflect the prices as well.

We haven't sold any brahmanxhereford steers yet. The herefords are dad's. To me they don't give enough milk. That's Why he put a Brahman bull on the bunch. I know every one likes the angus, but they aren't my favorite. I like a little height to my cows. The calves seem to take longer to get big. One of the neighbors 4 month old simmental calves is as big as an 8 month old angus. Also I would like something that looks good in the pasture.

bubchub":1xzvr155 said:
Also I would like something that looks good in the pasture.
Okay. Gotcha! How 'bout this?

eileenkneeling.jpg

Simmental is a good breed if you like those. I like beefmaster and brangus. all of these would cross well with your angus bull if you want something other than hereford. .

cherokeeruby":sxnrxkr7 said:
Something that looks like this calf would work nicely with the bull in your avatar.

I bet ol' Caustic will really like that picture Ruby. :) ;-) ;-)

Good looking calf!!!!

cherokeeruby":170isxul said:
Something that looks like this calf would work nicely with the bull in your avatar.
calf_175.jpg
[/img]

Will that thing tree a coon, ears a redbone hound would be jealous of. Little Red Bramer Ruby this breed is going to be a thorn in our little fling.
It is good to know that there is one Bramer lady has sense enough not to be riding Bramers in the pasture.

Caustic Burno":lry79caq said:
Little Red Bramer Ruby this breed is going to be a thorn in our little fling.

AH common CB. Have a little cuuth. Maybe she don't like your scrubby ol commercial cattle. Who knows. She might rather ride a bramer that have a "fling" with you. :shock:

redwhiteface":150huhrk said:
Caustic Burno":150huhrk said:
Little Red Bramer Ruby this breed is going to be a thorn in our little fling.

AH common CB. Have a little cuuth. Maybe she don't like your scrubby ol commercial cattle. Who knows. She might rather ride a bramer that have a "fling" with you. :shock:

I bet she would like em cuz they are the kind that make money. Ain't never seen a filly yet that wouldn't burn up the road to Wal-Mart. It's in the EPD's all fillies are born with it.

Caustic Burno":2sj236y5 said:
It is good to know that there is one Bramer lady has sense enough not to be riding Bramers in the pasture.

Hate to break it to you Caustic, but I used to have a Brahman Bull that would let me ride him.

cherokeeruby":1wjujt87 said:
calf_175.jpg
[/img]

Nice calf, of course I've got a soft spot for them ears / dew lap, about how old is she in this picture?

;-)

Latest posts