What breed is this calf ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy in Texas

Reaction score
I bought this heifer yesterday. Not real sure what she is,but I liked her. Do you have any thoughts of what she might be ?
Salebarncalves8-28-07006.jpg

MikeC":2p6i1kul said:
Prolly some sort of Beefmaster concoction.
that's the thing i dont like about beefmasters. i got a charolais sired heifer{complements of my neighbors bull} out of one of my simbrahs cows that looks just like a tan beefmaster great looking heifer but no where near a beefamster other than a 1/4 brahman blood..... heifer could be beefmaster or? regardless she'll work in your breeding up program

Well,when I first saw her I was thinking beefmaster. But,I'm not sure. Alacowman, that's kind of what I was thinking. Charolais cross maybe. I mean I can see the the brahma in her ,but what else.
That color is popular with beefmasters. I have a couple of them, but their calves come out a different color.

now that 1 has me stumped.could be a simbra beefmaster or a char beefmaster.but either way thats a nice looking calf.

Thanks guys, I guess I will just call her a simbra/beefmaster. I think she will work out in my little operation. I'll just have to put her in the pastures and see what she can do . I figure she's about 4-5 months old,so we 'll have to wait until next year.

one sign that you can pick up on some with simm/bra is the jack elam eye's....... cock eyed....... they have a lot more white in the front corners of their eyes.

I don't know anything about this type cattle, being from "UP NORT" But doesn't that calf have Brahma in it?

Yep-we've already established that it has Brahman in it. Beefmaster is comprised of 1/2 Brahman, Gert is 3/8 Brahman, but I don't think it's Gert. I still say Simbrah which is Brahman, Simmental (what's the formula? 3/8 Brahman, 5/8 Sim?) JMO

my guess would be half beefmaster and half charolais or charolais cross.

Santas and Duhram Reds":2e23u2yh said:
Doc

Charolais Santa Gertrudis would not produce the white speckling on the face.
-S and DR-
Oh, - - ok. I learned something here tonight. I should have known that! Thank you. Some of these intermixed genetic crosses are interesting combinations, and when you figure that there are literally BILLIONS of possibilities with every mating, it blows your mind to attempt to break down all of the possibilities available! Thank goodness for dominate traits, or we would REALLY have colorful herds and no Homozygosity!

God made NO mistakes!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2czuhjoa said:
No one has mentioned the possibility of Charolais X Santa Gertrudis.

DOC HARRIS
Now ,it could be. I remember some silver tiger stripes that came thru the sale barn. They were all uniform in color and size. I was fortunate to meet the owner of these cows. They were gerts crossed with a 3 quarter gray brahma and 1 quarter angus bull. None of the cows had any red in them. They were mottle face ,silver and black striped. He told me the face came from the gert side. Which,I don't know nothing about genetics. So, I have to believe that.
Anyway,looking at those cows I wouldn't have ever thought they had gert in them.

That little guys mother has 3/8 or 7/16 Hereford blood. Anybody should see that. :roll: :cboy: :oops:

Latest posts