What breed am I?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ohrmundt Simmentals":1whs1ll6 said:
Very cute calf.
FS - Our current herd bull is an Upgrade son. He has a big blaze on him. Did not see his dam so it could come from her. Odd though, we got our first calf from him the other day. Our bull bred a white face PB sim and she is gray ( yes old sim in her recent past). We were expecting a black white or white some where. Results, not one stitch of white on the entire calf. Kinda weird but very interesting.

What is his reg number (I'll look up the dam side and see if I see anything I know)? We never seem to get the white faces when we breed to Upgrade, he seems to wipe the white off! :) Just our luck!
How gray is the calf? We have one every year that is a gray color, but they shed to black with some brownish highlights. Those seem to have Hummer in the background, and for the life of me I CAN NOT breed the brown out of the Hummer calves! It seems to go on and on for generations! We have at least 5 breeding females with Hummer in the background, and EVERY ONE OF THEM has brown points. When one ends up a show heifer, we have to use lots of black dye to get them the color we want! :lol2:

Ohrmundt Simmentals":224kh6cr said:
Very cute calf.
FS - Our current herd bull is an Upgrade son. He has a big blaze on him. Did not see his dam so it could come from her. Odd though, we got our first calf from him the other day. Our bull bred a white face PB sim and she is gray ( yes old sim in her recent past). We were expecting a black white or white some where. Results, not one stitch of white on the entire calf. Kinda weird but very interesting.
Our old Granny cow was a black angus red carrier. We bred her to a blad faced Fleckvieh bull 3 times. Got a black blazed face heifer, a solid red bull and a solid black heifer. Those 2 heifers have been bred to a Red Angus bull every time. The solid black cow has had either red or black solid calves and the blaze faced cow has had a black or red blaze faced calf every time. She's raising her 4th calf and the black cow is raising her third. The black cow and her calves don;t have a single white hair on them.

He's a little closely bred but he is a nice bull. I'm thinking the the white is coming from 3C PASQUE 8773. We have some of him farther back in our herd. Nice traditional marked bull. So I'm guessing my bull's dam has some chrome.

Oh and the first calf from this bull is coal black all over. There might be a little highlight of gray in her legs. That might just be the way the light hits it to. FS, the calf I'm talking about is #14 on FB and posted a dry pic in the comments.
We get a little of the brownish color to but it usually sheds with age but we have a Goldmine daughter that still has it.

Yep. My money's riding on the walking bull being the sire.
We're trying to put some white/blaze faces back into our herd, using blaze or white-faced Simmental sires... most of the time, even out of white/blaze faced ANxSimAngus cows... I get solid black calves.

Ohrmundt Simmentals":1wwhtbwa said:
He's a little closely bred but he is a nice bull. I'm thinking the the white is coming from 3C PASQUE 8773. We have some of him farther back in our herd. Nice traditional marked bull. So I'm guessing my bull's dam has some chrome.

Oh and the first calf from this bull is coal black all over. There might be a little highlight of gray in her legs. That might just be the way the light hits it to. FS, the calf I'm talking about is #14 on FB and posted a dry pic in the comments.
We get a little of the brownish color to but it usually sheds with age but we have a Goldmine daughter that still has it.

Great set of EPDs on the bull! Would love to see his weaning weights and yearling if you keep anything out of him. And I bet the white is just as you said. Let me know if you DNA, I am curious now. I think when you submit the DNA, since the herd sire is by Upgrade, they can do a partial match with so many markers. Meaning, they can tell if she is a direct daughter of Upgrade or a descendent (granddaughter) likely. You would have to ask Leoma, who does the DNA stuff.

Latest posts