What are my chices for beef in north eastern ky?

Help Support CattleToday:

hersh

Reaction score
Would beefmaster's be a choice here?I have one neighbor that runs charolais one thats trying out angus and everyone else runs a mix.I'd like to run a solid breed.Thoughts are maybe charolais from my neighbor,angus,hereford,limo.Am interested in the beefmaster but dont know of any around.The climate here is humid, summer gets into mid= 90's and winter can hit single digits but stays around the teens, not too much snow.Lots of green grass in the summer and I am pretty flat. I am going with cow/calf op too. I guess the main question is can the beefmasters handle this kind of winter? And are they a good cow for a newbie?

I was born in Paintsvile KY, lived there until I was 22, all we had in that area was Char., Angus and Hereford. I never knew there was another breed of cattle. I wouldn't want to raise anything with to much ear there. Get's a little to cold and the sale barn doesn't like them in that area. I would go with Angus or Gelbvieh or a cross of the two called Balancers that are registered through the Gelbvieh Assoc. The Balancers are real meat machines and they sale good at the sales.

In my part of Ky. the buyers like black, black/baldy, charalois, char x or about any black x. Thats is what brings the most, so we try to buy what will raise a calf that sells good for the most money. Neighbor use run beefmaster but has mostly gotten away from them, still has a few cross cows. Runs black or charalois bulls all the time now.

I think beefmasters would do fine in your climate, I do think the beefmaster have a little to much ear. I like the beefmaster cows with a charolais bull, it cuts the ear down and puts the muscle on. excelent calves, thet grow like weeds, cant hardly beat beefmasters as momma cows .Thats my personal favorite herd, been doing that way for 16 years, no complants here or about the sale barn check. To each his own. This is my opinion.( ?spell)

I dont know where you plan on selling at, but if you are going to the Bluegrass stockyard, plan on black of any type will selling well (if its good) and charolais it seems the last couple of months the buyers at least here have been paying top dollar for charolais and charolais crosses. More so even than the blacks. Red have picked up also, looks like a move to the middle here.
Thats where I would start, especially if thats what people close to you are doing with some success

MD

I would take advice from Tom 4018 and redfornow. They are telling you facts in our area. blk mule

Thanks guys. I think my best bet is to go with charolais, my neighbor runs a couple hundred and maybe if I get them from him he might not mind if I ask him a million questions. Is there any truth to charolais being so wild natured?

The best thing is to spend a lot of time at your neighbors. When I bought my first Gelbvieh's, I spent every weekend for two months going to the farm I was going to buy from. I became good friends with the herdsman. I helped him work and feed his cattle. I had the chance to see how easy handling the cattle were and see there disposition. If you have the time, take it. It will be time well spent.

hersh":1s3bnw05 said:
Thanks guys. I think my best bet is to go with charolais, my neighbor runs a couple hundred and maybe if I get them from him he might not mind if I ask him a million questions. Is there any truth to charolais being so wild natured?

There will always be cattle of any breed that are wild natured.

The Char breeders that I am associated with have no more problems with disposition than any other breed.

If you are going to go with charolais, I would suggest that you cross them with a red gelbvieh, red limo, or red angus bull. The yellow char crosses bring the most money at the sale barn.

lgfarms":24m6ydu8 said:

If you are going to go with charolais, I would suggest that you cross them with a red gelbvieh, red limo, or red angus bull. The yellow char crosses bring the most money at the sale barn.

Or maybe Red Poll

Latest posts