What am I?

Help Support CattleToday:

SirLoin

Reaction score
DSCN0908.jpg

DSCN0883.jpg

DSCN0907.jpg

I normally purchase all my steers from one guy, but his bull went bad and his cows got the year off :lol: I've been forced to buy from the sale barn, craigslist and local newspaper classifieds. I picked this little guy up today. I really like the looks of him but I am at a loss for what he is. He's 240 lb., and very broad and sturdy looking like some Limousin crosses I have seen. Anyone have any ideas to what he is?

He's grazing and eating hay fine, but he's just sniffing the grain right now. The stag standing next to him is going to slaughter in two weeks. I prefer a stag to a steer myself, so I'll be eating half of this guy. I can't wait. He's 1/8 longhorn and others I've had like him from the same herd are superb eating and have been finishing out with a 700 lb carcass.

I picked up the 400 lb. black baldy two weeks ago from a local cattle dealer. He took about a week to get interested in grain, and now he's the first one to the trough. He was very skinny but has filled right in.

Thanks for the reply, Rockridge :cboy:

I think he's still missing his momma. It was raining today, and he was standing behind a round bale to get out of the wind. He looked cold and was mooing a lot. The other cattle were all grazing so I opened up a stall and he went in and laid down. He ate a little sweet feed today around noon. I put some fresh hay, some water, some fresh picked grass and some steer feed sweetened with brown sugar in his stall. I checked him about an hour ago. He had eaten half the feed and still had residue on his muzzle and was eating some of the fresh grass. I always feel better when a new calf is eating some grain, especially one weaned this small.

awww, you softy.
Just watch for pnemonia and if it starts hit hard and fast with both an good quality antibiotic (not la200) and an anti inflamatory.
good luck

RockRidge, I can't help but think of this movie everytime I see your screen name

[youtube]WiTKIbR69ss&p=9C275616942CFEF4&playnext=1&index=28[/youtube]

Actually changed it to a better clip

rockridgecattle":2aofy2xx said:
I have to be honest, i don't get the resemblance. Please feel free to enlighten me :D

It's the town of Rock Ridge in the clip.

rockridgecattle":636v250w said:
awww, you softy.
Just watch for pnemonia and if it starts hit hard and fast with both an good quality antibiotic (not la200) and an anti inflamatory.
good luck

LOL, that's the first time I've ever been called a "softy"......and I've been called alot of things :lol:

The rain has stopped and the calf is doing great now. He's the first or second one in for the evening feeding time. You should see him lap up the grain. I saw the little guy trying to nurse from the rear end of a steer last night. I'm going to mix a little soy meal into the 14% steer feed to bump it up around 20% protein.

Latest posts