What a week.

Help Support CattleToday:

Wewild

Reaction score
My youngest wanted to try cheer leading next year for middle school. She had never shown an interest in it. She went to practice all this past week for 3 hours a day except Wed. which around here is reserved for Church.

Try outs were Friday and well she made it as a 6th grader.

And so on to more important things. Her first debut as a 10 and under fast pitch softball pitcher.

Gave up 1 run in the first. Loaded the bases with only 1 out in the second and pitched her way out of it. We put in the ace and she held the score. We wound up with a 7-1 victory.

There were a lot of kids in the game today on both sides. They all did a great job. I was so proud of them all.

The only person that got out of line was a parent.

Why does it always seem to be that way?

Know all too well what you are talking about. Sometimes I believe the kids care less about the score than the parents. The kids are having fun - that's what is important.

I see it all the time at my grandsons ballgames. The parents look like a baboons butt, they scream at the kids for a mistake and want to fight half the people there. They have forgotten what the events are for in teaching kids teamwork and values.

My oldest son did not play sports, when he was young. Mostly because I did not push him in that direction. Mostly because I have a hard time dealing with the crap that comes with kids sports. Kind of had a sour taste in my mouth from when I was young.

But now my youngest ones are playing all of them, kind of surprised me though that the roughest parents to deal with are the Girls sports. Lots more trouble at my daughters games than my sons. :shock:

Never knew people or parents could be so rough on little girls. :(

Been coaching girls basketball in a rec league for 6-7 years and found out the hard way to make parent evaluation a major part of selecting who plays on the team :roll:

I've coached minor hockey for several years probably 500 plus games from prenovice to AA Midget I've never penalized or held a kid off a team because I couldn't deal with his or her parents. As a coach you do what you think is right and go on from there. In our minor hockey system there is zero tolerance for abuse of officials so things run pretty smooth. At the start of every season we have a parents meeting where our expectations and parental roles are explained it helps things run alot smoother. In any sport there will be conflict but I'd never deny any child a chance to experience it. sports can give you some pretty good life lessons for sure.

Northern Rancher":1hyihzaf said:
I've coached minor hockey for several years probably 500 plus games from prenovice to AA Midget I've never penalized or held a kid off a team because I couldn't deal with his or her parents. As a coach you do what you think is right and go on from there. In our minor hockey system there is zero tolerance for abuse of officials so things run pretty smooth. At the start of every season we have a parents meeting where our expectations and parental roles are explained it helps things run alot smoother. In any sport there will be conflict but I'd never deny any child a chance to experience it. sports can give you some pretty good life lessons for sure.

I might be wrong but I do not think Proverbs meant denying a kid the chance to play. But when picking teams he takes into consideration who the parents are, might pass and let someone else pick a certain player if they have problem causing parents.

At least that is how I took his comment.

I know if I was picking teams there are some kids I would pass on and let the other coaches have them because I would not want the headaches them parents might bring. Even if the kid was a better player than my pick.

I've coached a lot of fast pitch softball. What a mess the parents can be. We were playing for the state championship in 12 and under years back. One Dad and I were almost going to duke it out right before one game. He wouldn't quit screaming at his daughter the previous game, she was in tears, so I pulled her. He wanted to know why and I told him because of his mouth.

When I put together the AAU select basketball teams good parents were the focus. I coached teams one year and then hired professional coaches.

The eldest went on to play college ball. Parents there are much worse than anything you have seen in recreation and High School leagues. Most of them are accustom to their daughters being the star of the team and at that level, they aren't.

backhoeboogie":fn99erpa said:
I've coached a lot of fast pitch softball. What a mess the parents can be. We were playing for the state championship in 12 and under years back. One Dad and I were almost going to duke it out right before one game. He wouldn't quit screaming at his daughter the previous game, she was in tears, so I pulled her. He wanted to know why and I told him because of his mouth.

When I put together the AAU select basketball teams good parents were the focus. I coached teams one year and then hired professional coaches.

The eldest went on to play college ball. Parents there are much worse than anything you have seen in recreation and High School leagues. Most of them are accustom to their daughters being the star of the team and at that level, they aren't.

My 11 year old daughter got invited to play on a traveling Basketball team this last season. And my eyes got opened even wider to this parents problem. Once you start playing at a higher competitive level it gets way worse as you mentioned.

Not only were the kids on my daughters team more serious, but we traveled and played in tournaments where all the teams were taking it very serious. Almost every game some parents or coaches were being kicked out of game for yelling by the refs. Something I had not seen that often in our local league.

I had to move were from where i sat more than once because I could not stand the obnoxious idiot behind me.

The AA team I coach is the highest level we have so if we pass on a kid because of parents he doesn't have another chance. Most parents respond pretty well to an invitation to coffee and a discussion about issues with a third party present. Like I said our minor hockey association has a written constitution about how conflicts are resolved-screaming matches and fistfights between parents and coaches aren't reccommended lol. There is a 24 hour cool down period before a parent is allowed to approach a coach-it works wonders. I've found out if we let the kids be kids and if the adults act like adults things go pretty good.

Well I've had numerous parent problems...One after being warned on a number of occasions got mad during a game and came onto the court after a referee. His daughter moved on to another team. She was a good player and I felt bad for her but I'll be danged if I'm going to volunteer to coach and put up with that for very long!

My daughters last basketball game of the season we were playing in the finals for 1st or 2nd. The game was real close, and two of the opposing teams parents got out of hand at two different points towards the end of the game.

They did something I had never seen done before. They awarded some points to our team because of the technical I think 3 points and we got the ball not sure of the exact number but was at least 3 or more.

Those 6 or more points locked up our victory and 1st place in the tournament.

Them parents cost their children and teammates the chance to win or loose the game on their own.

If my girl was on that team, I think I might have gotten mad enough to follow the father outside that got kicked out. :mad: But not the woman she might have whooped me and that would have been more embarrassing for my daughter :lol:

My Mother was banned from attending my games by my Father after an incident. Havn't thought about that in a very long time.

Walt

In Minnesota youth hockey they implemented something called a "Fair Play Point" games. It is a point given to each team if they stay under a certain number of penalty minutes and don't have any game misconducts. They are also taken away if their are incidents in the stands. So each game can be worth 3 points (2 for a win plus the fpp), or even if you lose you can still get 1 fpp point.

The first year people didn't pay too much attention to them until the end of the year when some teams missed going to the playoffs even though they had more wins than other teams but lost too many fair play points.

My oldest daughter's team was on both sides of the issue this year. For playoffs they got the 6th seed instead of the 5th which put them in a much harder bracket because they had lost too many fpp's. But in one tournament they went to the championship game over another team because they had lost a fpp in the tournament.

A lot of people still don't like the concept, but I think it did clean up the game some. One problem though is inconsistent reffing.

But when it comes to hockey, I have found that parents of girls are way more competative than parents of boys for some reason. Even though the boys themselves are much more competative than the girls as a whole.

ChrisB":1dzjq1ka said:
Even though the boys themselves are much more competative than the girls as a whole.

WOW!! I coached both girls and boys for years. From my perspective, girls are way more competitive than boys.

backhoeboogie":11vkvoch said:
ChrisB":11vkvoch said:
Even though the boys themselves are much more competative than the girls as a whole.

WOW!! I coached both girls and boys for years. From my perspective, girls are way more competitive than boys.

That is my experiance also. Them girls can be ruthless out there. I can compare my son and daughter in basketball cause on many days I would bounce between gyms and towns with both playing at same day.

Boys games the boys would be joking smiling many times then go to the girls games and it was day and night different. Them girls had angry and determined look on their faces. The girls also hustled a lot more than the boys.

Might just be a local thing, because our girls sports are always do way better in almost every sport.

We even have a couple girls that wrestle and I remember watching one last year and I never seen someone fight so hard.