What a dog!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Got up this morning to get the kids ready for school and my dog suddenly started growling, he was in our bedroom and the window was open. He wanted out really bad and I thought he was after a barn cat.
Nope it was a coyote about 20-30 feet from the house. I could hear him barking like crazy and went to see what was happening and that is when I saw the coyote. Ran back inside for the gun, but the dog had run him off by the time I got back. Not bad for a little Welsh Pembroke Corgi.

Got to call the trapper and get him out here to kill it. After the chickens today, but could come after the kids next.

Corgis are tough little dogs. People tend to forget they're a herding breed and like most herders, aren't afraid of much.

I luv herfrds":2apsmmeq said:
Got up this morning to get the kids ready for school and my dog suddenly started growling, he was in our bedroom and the window was open. He wanted out really bad and I thought he was after a barn cat.
Nope it was a coyote about 20-30 feet from the house. I could hear him barking like crazy and went to see what was happening and that is when I saw the coyote. Ran back inside for the gun, but the dog had run him off by the time I got back. Not bad for a little Welsh Pembroke Corgi.

Got to call the trapper and get him out here to kill it. After the chickens today, but could come after the kids next.
you have got you 1 good dog.take good care of him.

He's spoiled rotten :lol:
A pool full of cool water when it is hot, barn cats to chase, one house cat to chew on, warm bed by the heater in winter.
Can't ask more of him. Gets a stupid attack once in awhile when we are pushing cows and he runs them the wrong way, but when he does it right it saves time.

Better watch it tho-- coyotes love Corgis for lunch...
That old coyote might just go get a buddy or two and come back to draw that Corgi out of the yard and get him...Neighbor lost their corgi to one about a month ago...
We can't keep a cat on the north place for the coyotes getting them...

Coyote came back last night and got a barn cat in the yard.
Dog is in the house at night. Got my gun loaded and waiting. Don't know if it is still sighted in, husband had it in his feed truck most of the spring. Need to find the ammo for his. I know that one is dead on. Mines a .243 his is a .222
I am concerned about them drawing him down the coulee and getting him. Still waiting to hear from the trapper. He normally calls back right away. Will call him again tonight.
The dog keeps looking down the coulee behind the house and barking. I know the coyotes are back there. He probably smells them.

hope you get that Coyote soon, Corgis are lovely dogs I had one for 15 years when I was growing up. I am not a dog lover but I do like a corgi. and Labradours.

Coyote came back this morning. Skinny looking thing. It was just before 8am.
Let the dog out he barked a couple of times. Took off down the coulee. I was watching him all of a sudden he turned tail and took off for home with that coyote on his tail. I ran into the house and got the gun. Ran back outside found a fence post as a rest took aim, he was moving, fired anyway and I think I gut shot the bugger. Either that or I grazed him on his belly.
It was about 150-175 yard shot. Dang I should have hit him that close. Comes back I'll get him then. If it rains I will resight it.

A coyote got our Corgi when she was about six months old and cut her up pretty bad. The older dog rescued her but it scared her so bad that she shook all day. There is no way she would go anywhere there was danger of meeting a coyote now. She's getting older and slower but she is a good cattle dog also; just like yours, she gets a case of the stupids once in awhile.

If it was me, I'd leave the dog in the house and slip out one morning just before sunrise. I'd find a nice spot to hide, but where I could view the coulee and just wait. Sounds like the coyote can't find anything to eat and seems to think your place is where it can get it's next meal. If it has gotten a barn cat already it knows where it can find an easy meal and now will be harder than heck to keep away. I'd sit under a tree, along a fence line, etc. and wait, you'll get him.

Never heard of a kid getting attacked by a coyote...

Must be a young one or something. I had a pack of coyotes come after our strike dogs (curr and curr Xs) one time. We could hear them getting close so we tried calling the dogs back.

Then we started hearing them fight. We turned all our catch dogs dogs out (Pitts, ABs, and crosses) to help the other dogs.

We started driving to them and when we got there the dogs had killed two. Luckily none of our dogs were too tore up.

IF wouldn't have been for those bulldogs it would have been bad though.

I have heard of a young girl in a subdivision in California getting attacked by a coyote. Right between two houses. She got away with a few bites and rabies shots.
Had the same thing happen this spring, son was up on the hill behind our house and a coyote came after him and the dog. Son is 10. He was sledding down the hill in the snow. When the coyote showed up he raced down the hill came in to get me. Dog kept the coyote away from him so he was not bitten. Couldn't get a clear shot of that coyote through the trees. Trapper came out and got a couple. Tried to get guys from a Coyote Calling Contest to come out to our place. Will try to bribe them with cinnamon rolls, hot chocolate and coffee this year. :D

Latest posts