Western OK fires

Help Support CattleToday:

elkwc

Reaction score
There have been several major fires in this region burning for two days now. The losses are devastating. The lady I'm in a relationship with lost two pastures yesterday. Her and her daughter moved the cows and calves to bare fields. We will be headed to check everything this morning. The fire fighters most volunteers have been fighting them non stop for two days with little sleep. I know all thoughts and prayers are appreciated. Will post an update after we make our rounds today.

Elk we aren't too far from you guys. If you need any help don't hesitate to give us a shout. We went thru fires this time last year in the Northeastern Texas Panhandle. We know what it's like. Prayers for all of you.

MRR thanks for the prayers they mean a lot. Some have had it a lot worse than us.
Heard they got the fire that hit us under control last night. It got within a half mile of another pasture and less than 2 miles of the cows. At one time it was 7 miles wide and 25 miles long. I know as of yesterday afternoon the fires in this area had burned over 200,000 acres but haven't heard an update this morning.

Coosh thanks for the offer. I will look at fences today. Hopefully it will rain if it don't we will have to get some hay. Now it just checking things and making a plan.

Elk
I must be living under a rock, I did not realize y'all were dealing with fires. I will certainly keep all of you in the path ooffff the fires and those fighting them in my prayers. Stay safe!

Gizmom

Drove around across some of the north end of the fire area last night, some places burnt to the ground and some still standing like an island in a sea of black. Last I heard last night it had burnt down the South Canadian river bottom to near the Fay and Thomas.

One wanted bank robber was arrested in Seiling when he panicked at the police presence when people were being advised to prepare to evacuate. A woman's body was found in a burnt out car also.

Praying for all you guys. Been watching this deal pretty close as I know several with devastating livestock loss. Hopefully most will get some FSA help. With the extended cold weather we've been having I fear hay will be hard for you to find.

As of this morning the Rhea fire which is the one that started east of Leedey has consumed over 246,000 acres and was 3% contained. They had 8 other fires listed ranging from 33 acres to almost 68,000 acres. Tuesday is supposed to be another bad day. Fire danger will be like it was last Thursday. We watched several fires to the east of us yesterday as we were working. You see some miracles and you see a lot of terrible devastation. Some of it breaks your heart and wrenches it. People are great. We have had many contact us to check on us and offer help.
The fire Friday that burned two pastures and was a threat to where some of the cows are they were able to stop about 3-4 miles from the pasture so not as close as we first thought. She lost 320 acres and 4 miles of fence. So was very fortunate. Many weren't near as fortunate. Words can't describe the damage. Even pictures can't. When you see it in person it hits you in the stomach.
The predictions are very good for rain starting Thursday night and going through Saturday. We pray it comes. It is needed badly especially now. If we can get some rain this week and weekend we will make it on hay for now. If we don't we will have to find some. After two more days of high fire danger then Thursday it will change hopefully. Didn't get as much done with the cattle this weekend as the weather wasn't good and we were surveying the damages.
Gizmom I haven't heard much about them in the national news. The local news has been carrying it. There were several fires at one time. Some they have 100% contained. They still listed six as not fully contained this morning. Prayers mean a lot. Have seen some true miracles. Instances where you would think nothing would survive and nothing more than some ashes from the fire on their white faces. Then you drive a half mile and see a total herd eliminated. Continued prayers for the next few days will be aprreciated.

gizmom":3ugipvw0 said:
Elk

Did you get any rain? Continuing to pray for all of you.

Gizmom

Not yet. They are saying it should start Thursday evening. Have been watching the fire live on FB live. Some storm chasers are showing them. Tomorrow is supposed to be another bad day. The area it has covered is huge and the winds fan the burning embers and they crop back up. Some are saying the big one will likely burn until it rains.

Looks like I will be flying out Wednesday to help manage some of the firefighters. Don't have any details yet. I gave 44 years experience in wildfires so maybe i can be a little help. Hope you get rain even before i get there.

kenny thomas":30zce8f5 said:
Looks like I will be flying out Wednesday to help manage some of the firefighters. Don't have any details yet. I gave 44 years experience in wildfires so maybe i can be a little help. Hope you get rain even before i get there.

Safe travels Kenny. I'm sure you will be of help.

kenny thomas":csy4o4o4 said:

We have been blessed with the outside crews that have came in from a wide area both in state and out of state. Hate you have to visit our area under these circumstances but know your expertise will be appreciated.

Supposed to be 92 with wind gusts to 44 mph and humidity in the single digits tomorrow and then 20 degrees cooler Wed and a decrease in the wind speeds. There was a flare up this afternoon where there had been fires Thursday and Friday. On the river they say they will burn until it rains and the winds die down.

Have safe travels. Jay

Tomorrow is going to be a long day, my area could be in the cross hairs tomorrow. Fires have burnt south and west of us with south west winds expected. Grandson texted us tonight and told us to be ready, he's been out fighting fire everyday since Thursday evening.

Kenny I hope your help isn't needed by the time you get here, but I believe it still will be needed. We've had a lot if help come in and it is all appreciated, and we appreciate your help.

Kenny

Stay safe, I know your expertise will be appreciated. At this point all I can do is continue to pray for all in the path of these fires as well as those, risking their own safety to help fight them.

Gizmom

Latest posts