Welding Rods

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
What are your favorite rods to use? I like Lincoln Excalibur rods. There is so many out there to use and at my local agri supply they have us forge rods... tractor supply has Hobart and now Forney rods. My welding instructor likes atom arc rods. I bought some Lincoln rods that were supposed to be able to be used dc + they didn't work worth a crap then I read online they are best used with AC welding so I tried them that way and they did ok that way.

I'm using the Lincoln rods. About 120.00 a case
The cheapest ones at my supplier are 87.00 a case. There's a very noticeable difference on the portable machines especially with finer work.

callmefence":353ood58 said:
The cheapest ones at my supplier are 87.00 a case. There's a very noticeable difference on the portable machines especially with finer work.

Yea I really like Lincoln Excalibur rods. I think I may try other brands to just see how they do though.

callmefence":1ea7y0pj said:

How about getting a little more specific please? I use a 6011 - 1/8" for everything when it comes to stick. But I'm fixing to build a real perimeter fence with real corners.

I've been welding quite a bit of pipe fence lately with used oilfield tubing. I prefer 1/8" 7018 welding dc at around 120 amps. Lncoln rod.

ohiosteve":1a3yt88j said:
I've been welding quite a bit of pipe fence lately with used oilfield tubing. I prefer 1/8" 7018 welding dc at around 120 amps. Lncoln rod.

What's the pipes wall thickness ? I use 90 amps mostly for everything 1/4 " stuff ..

skyhightree1":1l5ib9zr said:
ohiosteve":1l5ib9zr said:

What's the pipes wall thickness ? I use 90 amps mostly for everything 1/4 " stuff ..
Been using 2 3/8" horizontals on 4 1/2" posts. It's around 1/4" wall I would guess. Never measured it though.

True Grit Farms":zv471zcq said:
callmefence":zv471zcq said:

How about getting a little more specific please? I use a 6011 - 1/8" for everything when it comes to stick. But I'm fixing to build a real perimeter fence with real corners.

E6011 1/8 is the only rod I use as well.

callmefence":24a9cc2b said:
True Grit Farms":24a9cc2b said:
callmefence":24a9cc2b said:

E6011 1/8 is the only rod I use as well.

Thanks, sounds good to me.

The 6011 in 1/8" must be the best rod ever made, because I use it for literally everything. I like fleetweld rods, laregely for the price.

6011 is good for "dirty" work
I really like the Arctec 220XC rods, similar to a 7018 but stronger (85,000 lb), and weld very smoothly... with proper preheat, can even do some cast.. Only downside to them is the restrike sucks, much like the 7018.. 7014 has far better restrike.

I prefer 7018 rods.. Nesi for restrikes I usually have a small file and hit it a time or two and it works like a new rod.

I whack them on the concrete and that usually gets them going... It depends on if you need to do a lot of interrrupted welds, then it becomes a real pain.. If you're doing big long welds, then it doesn't matter so much

1/8 6011 for anything structural and thick. The go-to farmer rod.

For thin stuff like pipe panels I used to use Forney 3/32 6013, but they've changed their supplier and the rods are junk now. Haven't been welding much thin stuff but when I do it's with a 3/32 6011.

Been playing around with 7018 and 7014. I don't really like 7014, I do like 7018 but haven't used them much.

For welding dirty pipe for fencing I use 6010 5+ Lincoln. I bought about 5# from a guy who was telling me about it. After the 5# I bought a 50# can. Fast freeze. I use a Lincoln AEAD-200LE, good old machine!

Latest posts