Weight Loss in 4 yr old Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

ChipC

Reaction score
I've got a 4 yr old red angus momma cow that is losing weight. She was pulled down last year by a calf that I didn't wean until it was 13 months old. She gained a little weight back over the winter, but is really losing it now. I plan to separate her and her new calf and try to put some weight on her. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should feed her to put some weight on? Should I include any kind of vitamin or minerals to the feed? Any advice would be really appreciated.

The cow is the factory, and the calf is the output. You gotta keep the factory in good working order. The longer the factory is up and running, and in production, the better it's going to be for everybody.

id also add surely that cow weaned that calf. Did it suck her for 13 months?

Shelled or cracked corn is one of your cheaper feeds that will add weight, to answer your question. That all the grass she wants should turn her around. If the damage isn't irreversible.

For the record, I have pulled similar stunts, so I'm not throwing stones.

Bigfoot":2dcr5g44 said:
The cow is the factory, and the calf is the output. You gotta keep the factory in good working order. The longer the factory is up and running, and in production, the better it's going to be for everybody.

Shelled or cracked corn is one of your cheaper feeds that will add weight, to answer your question. That all the grass she wants should turn her around. If the damage isn't irreversible.

For the record, I have pulled similar stunts, so I'm not throwing stones.
Never heard it quite put that way. Really like that comparison.

Bigfoot":6jy7g28m said:

They won't always kick 'em off Bigfoot, especially once the calf gets big enough to push momma around some, and I've seen bull calves get big and aggressive quick and keep nursing no matter what it's momma did, or what other lactating cows did. Milk thieves..It's a cull factor to consider too.

greybeard":6uon0nt8 said:
Bigfoot":6uon0nt8 said:

They won't always kick 'em off Bigfoot, especially once the calf gets big enough to push momma around some, and I've seen bull calves get big and aggressive quick and keep nursing no matter what it's momma did, or what other lactating cows did. Milk thieves..It's a cull factor to consider too.

:nod: :nod: :nod:
I have had that happen.

As to the original post, if she has a current new calf, and is in the same pasture as the weaned one, its likely that both are nursing her. It sounds like she didn't get the opportunity to "dry-off and recover from that last calf. Either way, make sure the thief has no access to her, get her to where she has access to plenty of grass, toss a bit of grain to her each day, 2 or 3 pounds for sure, and a good quality loose mineral available free-choice. With any luck, she'll start to pick up in about a month.

Another thing to consider is the possibility of hardware disease. Other then that I think everything has been covered that I would mention.

greybeard":2349shp0 said:
Bigfoot":2349shp0 said:

We turned a 13 month old bull out with the cows. He walks out there with all the swagger in the world. ...and starts trying to nurse.

Wife says what you think about that. I say , foreplay I reckon.. :cowboy:

yeah, I'd be making sure she's not sick. hardware, Johnes, worms, etc...

angus9259":1gxddd7e said:
yeah, I'd be making sure she's not sick. hardware, Johnes, worms, etc...
2X

"We turned a 13 month old bull out with the cows. He walks out there with all the swagger in the world. ...and starts trying to nurse.

Wife says what you think about that. I say , foreplay I reckon.. :cowboy:"
:lol: :clap:

Latest posts