Weight gain and milk production

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
While there is a board for this, I think it belongs here for now. This is where you beef folks come and I'm not sure how many of you have noticed the new Got Milk board.

There's been a few comments on here from time to time about overfeeding heifers and causing fat deposits in their udder resulting in reduced lifetime milk production.

Anyone have any facts to back that one up?

The dairy folks believe that - and there are some studies to show that - heifers that have an increased rate of gain between 300 and 700 pounds will have lower production over the first lactation. High gains above and below those weight classes don't seem to do anything. Subsequent lactations are normal, only the first is affected. And "increased rate of gain" is translated as greater than 1.8 to 2lbs/day.

I'm trying to get a little discussion going here...folks, feel free to comment. :)

I think it is an excellent question and pertains to beef production also. Alot of people feed up their replacements, especially to sell, I just bought 30 from a local rancher that were not overfed, they look good, not covered up with alot of flesh. How do you people feed your replacements? Mine are on hay( ground and mixed with a little corn) good upland hay and are drylotted until grass comes, another month. Weighing 750 up to 850. won't see a bull till the middle of June.

eatbeef":3px1mini said:
How do you people feed your replacements? Mine are on hay( ground and mixed with a little corn) good upland hay and are drylotted until grass comes, another month.

Our's are drylotted and fed ground hay mixed with beet pulp. They will go on summer pasture the first of June along with the bull.

650-800. commercial, most are half (or more) beefmaster, they get exposed at about 15 months.

MM - I can't "quote" a research - but there has been lots reported on milk production ( or lack of) with overfeeding heifers. But, it does not refer to "how many pounds" gained - it refers to FAT deposit in the udder. Every udder cell that fills with fat, will NEVER produce milk. That's what I have always read. So, if you have growthy cattle, they should be fed to maintain their growth. Everyone needs to "know" their cattle, and feed according to "the eye of the master".
I keep up with all the latest research, but I STRONGLY believe in doing things that BEST suits YOUR operation and YOUR cattle.
Our heifers will weigh 900#-1050# at yearling weight. We AI them. After they have passed over, they go on pasture with the cows, and are treated as cows after that. Prior to turn-out, they are grained from weaning til than. Amount of grain fed depends on their condition & the weather. I want them around a 5.5-6 BCS.

I read a study that was done on creepfed heifers. According to that study anyways, creepfed heifers deposited too much fat in the udder, and did not milk as well as the control group. We have creepfed our calves, but we separated anything we were interested in keeping. I didn notice that the creepfed heifers would "develop and udder" where they would deposit fat in that area. The steer calves would do the same thing. I cannot say if it made any difference in milking ability, as we didn't keep any of the creepfed ones.

We feed our replacements grass hay for the first month after weaning and then transfer them onto good alfalfa. They also get about 10 lbs of rolled oats. They will weigh about 800# in March and are turned out on grass mid Apr - May and bred in June.

I noticed that a couple of you grind or chop you hay. Why do you? I was always told that heifers needed long stem hay to develope their rumen. I think fatty udders caused more by whats in the ration than by the rate of gain.

well ive read some on this subject alot. but from what ive seen most of your real heavy milkers it really dont effect as say a heifer of a breed thats known for lower milk production wont mention breeds. but have a tendency too gain body fat quicker that others but this goes with managing body condition and score with their breed.

rkm":21df3mrw said:
I noticed that a couple of you grind or chop you hay. Why do you?

Easier to deal with, they don't root the ground hay out like they do hay in the bunks, it allows us to mix other things in with the hay, less waste, and it doesn't require bucking bales.

Latest posts