Weed wiper

Help Support CattleToday:

I have one, the neighbor lady had one of the real expensive ones. Both have been retired. The problem is that with some weeds you have two wipe them in at least 2 directions to be effective.

I can build one for under $200. Priced one out of catalog that's hydraulic driven rotary for $4600 for 10 ft. I can spray my 30 acres cheaper than that

Has anyone used one for Johnson grass? The herbicide to get this out of a Bermuda hay field is very expensive and I was looking for a cheaper way to apply it just to the target.

bird dog":3l74vcmw said:
Has anyone used one for Johnson grass? The herbicide to get this out of a Bermuda hay field is very expensive and I was looking for a cheaper way to apply it just to the target.
I don't u it or why, but I sprayed some JG with Grazon P+D and it killed it. Might try spot spraying with it to see if you have similar results.

bird dog":29cpi7cp said:
I built one last winter 13' long using 3" PVC. It goes on the pallet forks on my front end loader so I can adjust how high it wipes easily . It works ok on Johnson grass but I feel you have to go over it in both directions to get it good.

Dun that's interesting. I used Grazon Next on it two years ago and it worked well enough where nothing was needed this year but it didn't faze the Johnson Grass. The product Outrider killed what was up but its expensive and doesn't have any soil residual.

Kenny how fast did you drive across the pasture? Can you get a picture of the one you built? It sounds like a good job for the grandson.

Sorry to hijack your thread rnh2

dun":39u7kasw said:
bird dog":39u7kasw said:
I don't u it or why, but I sprayed some JG with Grazon P+D and it killed it. Might try spot spraying with it to see if you have similar results.
It is the "P" in Grazon P&D that gives it the kick over Grazon Next. Takes the chemical card to buy it mostly because of that. Or so I was told by the sales rep.

Tim/South":531w1c49 said:
dun":531w1c49 said:
bird dog":531w1c49 said:
It is the "P" in Grazon P&D that gives it the kick over Grazon Next. Takes the chemical card to buy it mostly because of that. Or so I was told by the sales rep.
The P is for picloram

I have a weed wiper I bought at the Farm Machinery Show. I tried it on Johnson Grass, it killed about 75% of the Johnson Grass. I had a hard time getting the round up to come out of the wiper. I had the vent open all the way and couldn't keep the wiper wet. I drove about 3 mph. The Johnson grass was really thick. I was told by the owner of the company that after you killed it the first year it would come back the second year, but the third year it would be gone. Here is the website of the wiper I bought.

http://www.qualitymetalworks.com/products/weed_wiper.htm

rdp58":2gxq1xvp said:
I have a weed wiper I bought at the Farm Machinery Show. I tried it on Johnson Grass, it killed about 75% of the Johnson Grass. I had a hard time getting the round up to come out of the wiper. I had the vent open all the way and couldn't keep the wiper wet. I drove about 3 mph. The Johnson grass was really thick. I was told by the owner of the company that after you killed it the first year it would come back the second year, but the third year it would be gone. Here is the website of the wiper I bought.

http://www.qualitymetalworks.com/products/weed_wiper.htm
Gee, that's the same one I have. Had the same problems

bird dog":efp09p5u said:
Dun that's interesting. I used Grazon Next on it two years ago and it worked well enough where nothing was needed this year but it didn't faze the Johnson Grass. The product Outrider killed what was up but its expensive and doesn't have any soil residual.

Kenny how fast did you drive across the pasture? Can you get a picture of the one you built? It sounds like a good job for the grandson.

Sorry to hijack your thread rnh2
Pretty slow, and I have never mastered posting pictures. But I think I have the instructions for the build on paper somewhere. If I can find the instructions I wil be glad to share.

I rented one once just to see if I wanted to invest in buying one. The flow was controlled by an adjustable vent valve--like a faucet open to atmosphere. The more you opened it, the less vac lock inside the tube and more herbicide would flow out on the fabric wipers--supposedly. With the vent wide open, I still couldn't drive slow enough to get a good coverage. So glad I didn't buy one.
I spray now.

BigYoung":32muc3pr said:

His last post:
thanks for the kind words. I only used this thing once this summer becuase I just dont have time to drive that slow. Not only do you have to drive so slow, but its best to go back over the field in the opposite direction. There was just so much johnson grass that the wicks couldnt stay wet enough, so I had to drive super slow to make sure they where wiping.
I have been thinking about adding an air tank with a regulator to hold just a little pressure on the tubes to help keep the wicks wet.

You're almost there....
Just crank that regulator up to about 40-50psi and you'll have yourself a spray rig and you can forget all that wick wipin nonsense and will be able to kill with wild abandon and only do it from one direction, and, you can drive a lot faster while doing it.

questions:
Why didn't he just cut and bale that JG? Or keep it grazed down?

run cows out there a couple times and the Johnsongrass will disappear.

Pastora will kill Johnsongrass along with a bunch of other stuff and has residual. Can't be used on freshly sprigged bermuda and kills bluestem.
Outrider will kill only sedge and Johnsongrass and has no residual. Can be used on freshly sprigged bermuda after 20 days and is safe on bluestem.

Thanks guys. Good advice. Seems there's no problem we can't solve. Maybe we should run for president as as a group

Joeu235,

Never heard of Outrider before. You say it will kill sedge and JG both? Does it have a negative affect on fescue or orchard grass?

KW

Latest posts